1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Opinions on ModFactor

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Headless Llama, Aug 5, 2012.

1. I'm thinking of buying a ModFactor. What are some reasons for and against it. Honest opinions please :) Also some alternatives, and the reason for the alternative.

Thanks!

I am also considering a PitchFactor, but not both.

2. I just bought a ModFactor... So, if it's not cool don't tell me :) Thanks!

3. hahaha

4. sadasar

sadasar

Jan 21, 2012
    Dallas Texas.
    endorsing artist hard luck king guitars and knuckle head strings
    Just sold mine in the classifieds. I didn't sell it because it's bad it's an eventide. I sold it because I was using less than 1% of the things potential.

It's amazing sound quality is second to none. You can even select how the thing by passes for goodness sake.

If you are one who switches between effects alot during gigs invest in a good midi pedal it'll make your life easier. Also get an expression pedal you'll understand what I mean you play around with it.

Install the latest software on it as there are a lot of good tweaks to it that help bass players sound wise.

I wouldn't try to gig with it until you spends WEEKS with this beast it's immense.
    You won't regret the purchase I guarantee it. It's got every effect you can ever need modulation wise and enough ways to tweak every aspect of the sound in the effect.

5. sadasar

sadasar

Jan 21, 2012
    Dallas Texas.
    There is a midi mouse for sale in the classifieds right now for a good deal.

6. Thanks for the heads up! I'll play with it for a while before I get any toys for it. I'm sure I'm gonna get them, I really want to make sure it gets here first :)

I'm really looking forward to it!

7. sadasar

sadasar

Jan 21, 2012
    Dallas Texas.
    Sounds good. Enjoy it you're going to have a blast with it I'm sure.

8. Explorer

Explorer

Jul 4, 2010
    The ModFactor is a neat pedal.

The only reason I didn't wind up selling my TC Electronic Nova Modulator and getting one is... the ModFactor only has one effect engine.

I use a lot of dual sounds, and I originally got the Nova Mod to see if I could get the sound of an Electro Harmonix Electric Mistress from the Mod. It worked, as one can synch the two sides together (they can also run independently, or with only one on), and by turning the rate to zero and working with the pre-delay on the flanger side, I was able to get the Filter Matrix mode of the EM as well.

Same as the Polyphase Filter Matrix mode.

It was a bonus that the Nova Modulator is smaller than the one pedal I thought it would replace.

The fact that it covered every other MXR and Boss modulation pedal I owned, and therefore removed the need for more pedalboard space, ensured it was going to stay.

If you're only using one modulation effect at a time, then the ModFactor is a great piece of gear. To me, though, getting (for example) that electric piano vibe requires a synched pitch vibrato and tremolo, and the Nova Mod is the smallest, most flexible piece of gear when it comes to combining modulation types.

9. behndy

behndy Banned

Nov 1, 2008
    California
    hurm. no offense to you, and not saying you shouldn't like the Nova at ALL. if you dig it, awesome. get on with your bad self.

but i just listened to the 2 YT demos on bass i could find... and that thing sounds AWFUL.

i'd be way more interested in a Mod Factor. the Pitch Factor was amazing, i just never used more than 20% of it so i sold mines. but Eventide makes stellar sounding gear.

10. Explorer

Explorer

Jul 4, 2010
    I guess I'm lucky, in that I live in a metropolitan area where I can get an idea from YouTube, but then can normally actually try a piece in person, rather than completely relying on info from the net. Behndy's point about YouTube is completely spot-on.

11. MSUsousaphone

MSUsousaphone

Dec 4, 2009
    Lake Charles, La
    Endorsed Artist: Myco Pedals
    I hated the modfactor. But I REALLY dislike choruses, wahs, rotarys, ring mods, and the such. Not a big modulation fan. So....it kinda figures. The unulator thing was a'ight....but that's a big chunk of money for one sound I like.

12. behndy

behndy Banned

Nov 1, 2008
    California
    yeah. i've not owned much TC stuff, it'd definitely be something i'd want to hands-on before i dropped some cash on though.

again Explorer, TOTALLY not trashing your like for it. just canna hear anything i like about it on the webs.

13. Jeff Bonny

Jeff Bonny Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Vancouver, BC
    The Modfactor can do some pretty amazing things. It's value isn't measured in how often you will use it but rather in what it does when you do use it. As an example ever go to a show where the lighting guy used blinders into the audience? Are you more impressed when when he surprises you with them once or twice or when he figures he's going to "get his money's worth" and kills you with them all night? The real bang for your buck with the Modfactor is in the potential surprise factor.

Another observation is that it's not an especially easy pedal to use right out of the box. If you aren't prepared to spend some time tweaking sounds and sorting them into usable groups you will probably find the thing very frustrating. An external foot switcher like a Digitech FS3X has been super useful too for assigning different functions not easily accessible on the pedal itself like scrolling back down and grabbing the tuner/mute fast.

14. Of the low priced midi controllers whats the difference between them? The two mentioned here look good, but I have no experience with any midi. Thanks! :)

15. sadasar

sadasar

Jan 21, 2012
    Dallas Texas.
    The midi mouse basically will allow to scroll up and down through the presets that are saved o the mod factor it's small and I used it with no problems.

16. Jeff Bonny

Jeff Bonny Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Vancouver, BC
    The Digitech FS3X is not a midi devise. It plugs into the Aux Footswitch jack and you can assign a whole lot more than just scrolling up and down. I haven't had much reason to explore it but you can get into effect parameters and change them on the fly if that's something you need. The FS3X is passive and won't use a power supply channel or require another wall wart. At $40 it's also the least expensive option for auxiliary control.

17. Just received the ModFactor today.

First impressions... Awesome!
    How do they get such great sounds in one pedal!?!?! Wow!

Now I want the PitchFactor! I can't believe how great this pedal is.

18. Ok :)

I now have a pitchfactor headed my way! :) ! :)

After playing around with my modfactor for a while I'm looking into ways (midi or tricks) to select presets quickly. Ultimately I'd like to be able to control both with the same unit.

Thanks!