Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Opinions on Modulus BG5??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rickreyn, Aug 13, 2002.

1. rickreyn

rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    "MINT TRANSPARENT GREEN GENESIS BG5.
    FEATURES: BARTOLINI JAZZ PICKUPS + PREAMP
    SOMA BODY
    CEDER/GRAPHITE NECK
    35" SCALE (SUPER TIGHT "B")
    NO SCRATCHES,DINGS OR DENTS"

$1000

This is the deal. Is it a good one? The guitar is as is on Modulus site. I am considering whether this is a "step up" from my Cirrus 5.

2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Rick, I don't know what your preference is as far as neck profiles go, but I have played 2 different Genesis 5's, and they had the thickest necks of any bass I have ever played, and were also very wide. I like wide, but the combination was way too much for my little hands. They were also two of the heaviest basses I have ever picked up. Make sure you play one first.

3. Dude, I think I'm in love.

4. trainyourhuman

trainyourhuman Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2000
    MI
    I love the genesis basses. I wish they made a Genesis 6 string bass. I like the neck shape and love the wide fingerboard. My bass has the soapbars, so it sounds a little thicker I would guess.

However, I really did not like the Soma bodied basses. I have played quite a few and found that I like the alder much better and that the soapbars really brought out the best in the wood, moreso than the j style pups. My bass is not that heavy, barely more so that my Q6.

5. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

SB,

I think given your love of thick necks, if you haven't played one of these, you should find one and try it out. It's the only thing I have ever played that makes newer Warwick necks feel slim.

6. Steady there, buddy. I don't want to have to clean my keyboard again. :eek: ;)

7. rickreyn

rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    I tried one today and yes it had a wide neck and was on the heavy side. It sounded good though. I tried a quilted maple at Mars that I think had sweepable mids, so that would be an upgrade. More output than my Cirrus it seemed, B of equivalent quality and great sound, but not as playable as the Cirrus. I dunno. :confused:

8. virtual.ray

virtual.ray

Oct 25, 2000
    Side by side with the Quantum 5,I really preferred the Quantum.The neck is slimmer,the bass is lighter,and you get the full effect of the graphite in terms of the evenness of tone across the instrument's tessiture.I really like the Quantums,can you tell?