1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Opinions on my build

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Whale, Mar 14, 2013.

1. Whale

Whale

Apr 12, 2008
    I built a few guitars in the past, but never a bass. When I was first thinking of building my bass I sat down and listed the features that I like from several basses. I've tried to encorporate each of these features into a single instrument. Whether this approach will work or not is yet to be seen.

That said, I was wondering what you think of the bass image I've attached. It's a Photoshop conglomeration so don't expect perfection.

(Sorry, but I can only add a thumbnail since I'm at work and they block image hosting sites such as Photobucket. You can click on the image to make it larger.)

Attached Files:

2. ctmullins

ctmullins fueled by beer and coconut Gold Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I'm highly opinionated and extremely self-assured
    Looks nice to me (except I hate pickguards). You gonna do all that body carving? Laborious, but the end effect is nice.

3. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    I love it looks like something MM would put out.

4. Whale

Whale

Apr 12, 2008
    Actually, I've already done most of the carving and shaping. I feared making the upper arched area (AKA thumb rest) but it turned out to be very simple.

I am using a solid slab of walnut.

And yes, you're right. It does have aspects of a Musicman. Namely a Musicman Silhouette guitar.

The upper arch and lower control area takes after a Michael Spalt design.

The rear body shape is somewhat like a Jazz bass.

At the moment I'm in the middle of building the neck. It should be done soon and from there I'll be able to concentrate on the body again.

5. deepestend

deepestend Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 21, 2003
    Brooklyn via Austin and NOLA
    Guitar/Bass Builder and Social Media at Sadowsky
    I like it. If the carving is already done, rock on.