Opinions on my design

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Geoff St. Germaine, Feb 10, 2002.

1. I will be building 2 basses this summer. Just looking for a little feedback on the design. If all goes well i would like to start up a small part time business once I finish my masters. So I am looking from feedback from all the experienced or not so experienced, mainly on aesthetics and balance.
    They will be my 3rd and 4th built instruments. The 2nd and 3rd bass.
  2. I like the small fretless; it's very "organic."
  3. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Organic...that's a pretty accurate description. A bass like that would look grown, not made. Which is pretty cool.
  4. NioeZero

Sep 2, 2001
    Nice body designs, I like.

However, the cutaway on the 7 would be damn near impossible to get your hand into. At least, thats the way it looks to me. The neck joint on the 7 looks very good, though. Looks like a very sturdy five bolt placement, tapered body/neck joint.

Nice work.
  5. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
  6. barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    they reminds me a little the beautiful laurus bass.
  7. I'd probably buy one if it felt good, and sounded good... and i had the money... nice design. Original, yet not super abstract. I also like the headstock... and i'm normally VERY touchy about what the headstock looks like compared to the bass...

Is that an 11 piece neck on the 7? i couldnt tell on the 4, but it looked more than 5.
  8. The neck on the 7 is 11 pieces as it is there, though it may drop to seven, as there is a lot of wood loss by ripping out the extra laminates. The 4 is 9-piece and it is staying that way.

The reason for the multi-lam is I don't want to use graphite or steel reinforcement, I want it to be as much wood as possible. The 7-String is maple/purpleheart, and to quote Bill Conklin "purpleheart is nature's graphite", and I have had similar experience working with the wood in other contexts. The 4-String is maple/walnut/purpleheart. I have the walnut laying around, so I figure I am gonna use it in the neck, if for nothing more than looks.

Good point, Nioezero, I think this pic is misl;eading, somewhat on that. On the full size plans it is actually big enough, at least for me.

Thanks for the feedback guys, good to hear that you seem to like the design.

9. I like the design the asymmetrical headstock is nice.

Hard to tell where the strap locks would go without it “diving”, but I guess you can’t really tell from a drawing.
  10. Those are really great designs I like the head stock on the seven string, very well drawn too.
  11. Those look awesome dude. Good luck with your projects. I'm also planning on building 2 basses this summer, a 12 string and a 9 string. I noticed on the pic of the 7 u seem to use single string bridges. What kind r u planning on using? I would u ABMs for my 9 string, but they are way too expensive. I think I'll go with the custom shop parts models. What r u planning on using?
  12. I actually have the custom shop parts indi bridges, best deal for the money. I didn't want to plop down hundreds of dollars for the ABM before I built the bass. If it turns out really good, and if I think the CSP bridge is dragging the bass down, I will get the ABM, otherwise I will leave it. The CSP bridge is solid, though my complaints would be that the finish isn't the greatest and the intonation adjustment, while seemingly solid, is a little weird. But, I won't know until it is together, and the price is great. I have a CSP bridge for the 4 string, it is a string thru body bridge, and I am really impressed with it, it is solid, god adjustability, I think it will be great on the 4 string.

13. Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Seems you will use a lot of glue in these, Geoff...what will that do to the sound, you think? (Just raising the question, if you had missed it before - if not: disregard!)
    I'd propose a slightly smaller head on the 4. It strikes me as slightly unproportional, and though the balance should be OK, a slightly less wide head would add to the ergonomics.
    The 7 looks good, except for the diminuitive cutout. Yes, I noticed that it looks better in full scale, but still: another 5mm/.25" would do some good there.
    They both look quite heavy, so light weight woods all over would be a good idea.
  14. The headstock on the 4 is gonna be changed to that a 4 strig version of the 7, as I intend them to be extremely similar.

As for the glue, I am not that concerned. I have played severaly basses with 7-9 piece necks, and there is no weirdness that I would attribute to glue.

I will take your advice on opening up the lower cutaway. I want full access up to the 28th fret.

Thanks for all the suggestions. You guys are great.

15. So how much would a 7-er cost ? :)
    I'd like to have more info on it.. looking for a new bass :)
  16. If you haven't already, pop over to the MIMF. The combined luthiery experience and sheer know how there is staggering.

I like them. They remind me of Ken Bebensee's designs a lot, which is a very good thing.

As for balance, that all depends on the wood and things you can't tell from those diagrams. Visually it looks very balanced.
  17. SRSiegel

SRSiegel Guest

Sep 17, 2001
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    from a purely asthetic point of view i would suggest a deeper cutaway into the left (top) side of the 4 stringer. it looks really organic, i like it, id just like to see it a little more extreme... nice work!