Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Opinions on my new purchase

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Chris_AtariDoll, May 26, 2002.

1. Chris_AtariDoll

Chris_AtariDoll

Dec 8, 2001
    UK
    Hi, I'm now the proud owner of a Warwick Thumb thru-neck, Status pickups, 18v 3 band eq, with mid switch, LED fret markers and custom Sky blue gloss finnish.

What do you guys (and girls) think

I'll post some pics when i collect it.

Chris

2. Hard to say what one thinks without having seen, played or heard you new bass, but from what you tell us, it's neat. Thums are good to begin with, and with all those extras, and the not often seen finish, it's bound to be a great bass.
    Have fun, and don't forget to post pictures!

3. I never saw a Warwick i didn't like!

4. rickreyn

rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    I would say sight unseen, great acquisition. Looking forward to seeing what the blue's like.

5. Chris_AtariDoll

Chris_AtariDoll

Dec 8, 2001
    UK
    I'm collecting the bass 2moro, so i'll post pics ASAP.
    Just wondering if the Status "High Resolution Hyperactive" pickups and EQ are 'better' than the standard warwick ones, Would they have been added as an upgrade or bacause of problems with the warwick gear. When i played it, it felt so comfortable and sounded great. The LEDS and colour were just a bonus.

Chris

6. I've read both negative and positive comments on MEC's pickups and electronics on this site, but the consensus seems to be that there are better sounding and more reliable alternatives out there. So quite a few might consider the Hyperactive pickups on your bass as an upgrade, others, perhaps fewer, as sacrilege. I can only say that I've never heard a negative comment on the pickups/electronics in Status' basses, quite the opposite, and that I've never had any problems from the MEC package in my Streamer. I only wish they sounded a bit warmer and I've been considering a pickup change.
    The important things, though, are if they sound good in your (and your bandmates') ears or not, and that they are reliable.
    Can't wait to see those pictures! :)

7. Chris_AtariDoll

Chris_AtariDoll

Dec 8, 2001
    UK
    thanks for the help, One of my mates who was with me said it was the best sounding bass he had ever heard. I'm still not sure about the color, but it is certainly different.

I was actually looking for a new 5-string, but i just fell in love with it.

I'll just have to look for a cheaper 5-string to use on the songs i need the low b string (some one is trying to sell me a 5-string bolt-on corvette, i'll have to look into it).

Chris

8. hujo

hujo

Apr 18, 2001
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I have two HyperActive soapbars in my Status, and I like them. The bass has a punchy, thick sound, that's defined, and tight, but still big. It gets a little metallic and thin when you get above the 15th fret on the g-string with the treble boosted, but that's not the end of the world, and also a factor of my inability to control my touch - I get a bit carried away at times, and don't think of how hard i play.

9. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
  10. Chris_AtariDoll

Chris_AtariDoll

Dec 8, 2001
    UK
    Thanks mate.
    Sleepless nights, can't wait to pick it up (9.00 am 2moro)

11. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Sounds like a cool bass. Very interested to see how it looks, I have only seen Thumbs in natural.

Congrats on your new acquisition.:D

12. Chris_AtariDoll

Chris_AtariDoll

Dec 8, 2001
    UK
    I've just picked it up. It looks even better than i thought it did, the colour looks great in the sunlight. I've brought it straight to work, so no chance to plug it in yet. Can't wait to get home.

Chris

13. Chris_AtariDoll

Chris_AtariDoll

Dec 8, 2001
    UK
    Just got an email from warwick today, regarding my bass. I seems it may have been a one off demo model due to the leds, pickups etc.

They said they would try to find out more.

Chris

14. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    hey, sounds pretty sweet, if not a little odd. looking forward to seeing some pictures. i've only seen three other painted thumbs...two were black, shania twain's bassist, and ryan martinie of mudvayne, and i saw prince once with a white one. i'm sure it's a score. keep us posted!

15. Chris_AtariDoll

Chris_AtariDoll

Dec 8, 2001
    UK
    Played my first gig with the warwick last night, took a bit of getting used to the eq, the mid boost switch is evil (sound guys worst nightmare). All in all a very good gig. The bass felt great , sounded great and from peoples comments looked great too.

I'll try and get some pics of it today.

Chris

16. Chris_AtariDoll

Chris_AtariDoll

Dec 8, 2001
    UK
    Here are a few quick pics of the bass.

[​IMG]

Chris

17. Whoa, now you're cool.

Seriously...that IS COOL!!

18. Chris_AtariDoll

Chris_AtariDoll

Dec 8, 2001
    UK
    Thanks mate, It should be even better when the LED's are finished, Sims Electric Blue sound activated (v.nice) It currently has red led side markers but they don't go with the color of the bass.

19. Wow, that'll be even nicer. I have some SimS--they look really cool when they match the bass. Mine are just the regular kind, though. Not sound activated or anything.
    [​IMG]

20. Chris_AtariDoll

Chris_AtariDoll

Dec 8, 2001
    UK
    I was thinking the sound activated may be a little 'tacky', but i should be able to have switch fitted to make them stay on.

Chris