Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

opinions on my prospective amp rig

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jasonbraatz, May 23, 2001.

1. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    ok...does anyone see any problem or have any suggestions for alternatives in this rig, or better places to buy them:

Carvin UH5000GT UHF Wireless - 259 Direct
    Juice Goose 8.0L Power Conditioner - 89 Musicians Friend
    SWR Interstellar Overdrive - 600 Musicians Friend
    Carvin DCM1000 Power amp - 399 Direct

SWR Goliath III Jr (4 ohm) - already have
    SWR Triad - already have

then, in pedalboard:
    ART Levelar Compressor - 80 Musicians Friend, can probably get for 50 at full compass
    Moogerfooger - already have, need 3 more expression pedals for it
    Digitech Whammy/Wah - already have
    Boss CEB-3 Bass Chorus - 63 Musicians Friend
    Octave pedal - What kind?

The DCM1000 puts stereo 350watts per channel, and the GJr handles 350 max, this will be perfect right? cos it won't blow it, but it won't underpower it either?

sound ok?

jason

2. MikeyD

MikeyD

Sep 9, 2000
    Make sure you don't overdrive the amp into clipping (or more than just briefly) or use a lot of distortion effects at full power. Also - I recall that cabinet has 10" drivers. If you pump a lot of low bass into them, watch for excessive cone excursion, which could also damage them. Otherwise, you'll probably be fine.
    - Mike
    P.S.: A big muted thump on an E or B string, even if very brief, can put a lot of low frequency power into a speaker, so watch the cones there, too.

3. Since you appear to be purchasing new, I would suggest emailing Chuck Levins:

http://www.wmcworld.com/

Get an email quote from them. I think you might find they are significantly lower on some of what you are hunting for. I have no affiliation with them, etc.

They don't post prices on their web site, but they do respond very quickly to their online quote request system.

FWIW, you might consider getting some of your gear on eBay. Unless you are damn positive about your purchases, you will most likely be trading off some/all of this gear in the future. If you buy carefully on eBay, you won't lose your investment from depreciation. The typical selling price of gear on eBay is 66% of new discount price.

4. I would avoid the Carvin stuff myself. At least the wireless anyway. You can score a Shure system around that price. We also sell the Juice goose stuff but prefer Furman or ETA.
    I use all SWR stuff too. Its definately the way to go!!!
    I work at Full Compass and actually sit right next to your drummer Sheldon, he will set you up fat!!! ooops...PHat hehe.

5. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    hehe, small world!

jason

6. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX
    Sounds good to me dude...I would definitely take it if you were giving it away:D

7. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    I'd be weary of he Carvin wireless, too.

Way to go on the SWR IO, I just bought one myself. Great great preamp. I actually wish I had bought it with a power amp instead of it and the Ampeg, but oh well.

Your SWR should be able to handle far over 350 watts. Especially 350 CARVIN watts, if you know what I mean! :D

Generally, amps can handle 2-4 times their RMS rating without a problem. I don't think it hold as true for vintage equipment (however, not many people run 4000 watts through a 200 watt vintage Fender 2x15). So I wouldn't worry about blowing out the Goliath or Triad.

Cool setup, though!

8. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    Musician's Friend has decent prices but if you look around you can find better prices.

9. danny3k

danny3k Guest

May 26, 2001
    Aguadilla, Puerto Rico

What does RMS means???? I'm from Puerto Rico, and English is my secondary language, so if you can explain me, what does RMS and Peaks, does means, because Peak is most of the time twice the RMS, am I right???, but if you explain me, I will know...

Thanx

10. MikeyD

MikeyD

Sep 9, 2000
    I wonder if I should start posting things like, "Reason #39,583 to have an Amps FAQ" in response to things like this. Since the time we started discussing this idea (maybe a week ago), I've seen at least 3 posts that could easily be handled this way. Whatever. If people don't start using the Search facility, they are going to get ignored by those who know the answers but are tired of repeating them for the zillionth time, and they'll get answers from people who are well-intentioned but misinformed.
    - Mike