Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Opinions on Pedulla Thunderbass 5?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by FritzM, Apr 16, 2005.

1. FritzM

FritzM Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2001
    Madison, MS
    I have the oppurtunity to trade my Roscoe LG-3005 fretless for a Pedulla Thhunderbass 5 and get some cash. I need a fretted 5, so I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with one. Its the 3 knob version, bubinga top, bart pre, etc.
    I'm really wanting a Jazz style 5 ala Roscoe Beck, but this offer came along. Also, got an offer to trade straight up for a Benevente Vintage Vortex 5.
    Would appreciate any help.

Thanks___Fritz

2. They're really nice. I often go to the music store specifically to play one. Its kinda like the Wayne's World "you will be mine" situation. The tone is a little dark but I think the strings are pretty beat on the one I always play. What is the string spacing? The 18mm is very comfortable and it has a wide relatively flat neck.

3. thejohnkim

thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
    NYC
    i love mine. i dont think you'll get too close to a dual jazz pu sopund from it because the neck pickup is very P-ish but its nice full and meaty. the build quality on mine is awesome, its made for pretty low action also, and teh neck is comfy and fast.

4. FritzM

FritzM Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2001
    Madison, MS
    It looks like the 18mm version. I play with a dark, punchy, kind of Jacoish tone. Will it do that?

___Fritz

5. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I've played a few ThunderBasses, and own a ThunderBolt 5 fretless. They have a very agressive tone, but plenty of bottom if you turn it up. My guess is that you'd really like this bass. It's not very big, so it's very comfortable, too.

6. Jerry Ziarko

Jerry Ziarko Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    This is very high on the list of basses I wished I never got rid of! GREAT B string from a 34" scale. Personnaly I didn't have much use for the Thunderguts switch.

7. I've played both the Thunderbass 5 & 2 Rapture 5s, & although it wasn't what I was after sound-wise, the build quality was amazing. I briefly owned all 3 of these & could not find a flaw. I can't say a lot about tone- it was great, just not for me.

8. Munji, can you tell me how the fretless TB compares to the Buzz bass?

9. thejohnkim

thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
    NYC
    my thunder bass can definitely do dark and punchy. i cant say im familiar with jaco's tone because all ive done is listen to a couple mp3s years ago, but i'm guessing favoring teh bridge pickup will start to get you there, not sure how close though. mine doesnt even have active tone controls, and it sounds great. and i'll admit also that i rarely use the thunderguts switch.

10. In my experience, the TBass won't do the Fender Jazz sound (I see you were looking at a Jazz) and verse / visa . The mids and highs sound different (have a different character) between a j bass and a T bass. Also, the T bass has a heavier low end.

Not that one is better than the other, just different. Also, Bart soapbars are not very forgiving, you better be on your game to sound clean. Fenders are more forgigving IMO. I happen to love the complexity of the upper mids/highs of the T bass when popped, it sounds just different enough that it can't be mistaken for a P, J, or Stingray and I kinda like that.

11. I sold my thunderbass because while it was great instrument, and the one sound it had was gorgeous alone, the sound got lost in a band pretty easily. I got a Rapture, which is Pedulla's J-bass, and I love it to this day.

12. abngourmet

abngourmet Gold Supporting Member

Nov 11, 2004
    USA
    I don't own a Thunderbass (though I've tried them), but I do have an '04 MVP 4. I opted for the J-J Pup configuration as opposed to the standard P-J. Quality and construction is top notch, and the Bart electronics really take it to another level. Neck on my MVP is really thin and slim, just as I like it. Reminds me of my Rick 4001. Anyway, I find I can get the classic P and J tones with it. And it just growls. You might want to try an MVP if you're looking for the J-bass sound.

Alan

13. lowrez

lowrez no.

Nov 27, 2004
    New Englandish
    I have a ET5 Thunderbass. Great instrument! I have no complaints. I just wish it was a 4! It is currently very neglected!

14. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Pedullas ROCK on the used market. One of the best values to be had. How else can you explain geting a MVP or Pentabuzz for like, $900?

15. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    To be honest, I've only played a BuzzBass once or twice off the wall at GC. My impression is that the BuzzBass has a little more mwah, but not by much. I've never A/B'd them at the same time. Also, my TBolt has TI Jazz Flats on it, and may just be less aggressive without roundwounds. I love the sound of the TI's, though.

16. FritzM

FritzM Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2001
    Madison, MS
    Thanks for the replies! Let me clarify a coulpe of things.
    When I say Jacoish, i just mean that I want a good bridge pickup, dark & punchy sound. I'm a jazz player and play 100% fingerstyle. I have a great Fretless Jazz 4 (Jaco Relic) so I just need a good fretted 5 to take along with my fretless.
    The Roscoe has a great tone, although different than my Jazz. So, between the Thunderbass and the Benevente Vintage Vortex 5, what would you suggest?
    i was really hoping for a Roscoe Beck plus cash deal, but no offers yet.

___Fritz

17. duderus

duderus Supporting Member

Dec 5, 2012
    Do you still play the thunderbass? I am curious if I invested in a 2001 if it would fill my needs? Is it still a go to bass?
    (I would be using rounds on it)

I played the pedulla TBolt for 3 years and loved it.

Situation:
    I currently have a 2013 Proto bass with TI flats, thump tone running a prodigy 2 1x15s, and often di through a Reddi. The slap tone and some gritty is missing from my bass and my other vintage jazz and p bass aren't cutting it. I mainly play in a cover band dance/funk where my job is low end and to make things funky.

18. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    The T Bolt went away a long time ago in favor of something more sparkly or shiny. It's great bass. If you like that barky tone, it will work for you, although it also can supply some pretty substantial bottom.