Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Opinions on pickup setup...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BassMan257, Mar 19, 2006.

1. Pbass Pickup

6 vote(s)
    12.0%
  2. 2 Jbass Pickups

15 vote(s)
    30.0%
  3. 1 Jbass Pickup -specify spot

1 vote(s)
    2.0%
  4. 2 Humbucker Pickups

15 vote(s)
    30.0%
  5. 1 Himbecker Pickup -specify spot

4 vote(s)
    8.0%
  6. Just piezo

4 vote(s)
    8.0%
  7. Something else entirely

5 vote(s)
    10.0%
  1. Im not sure if this should be in the "pickups" forum... but I figure Ill try here first, and it will be moved if its wrong...

What pickups do you think would match the bass better/where/why?

which would you prefer/ think would be better for my kind of music (which is listed below)

[​IMG]

I play some indie rock stuff, jazz, and noize (lots of harmonics and distortion)

I want to put piezo pickups in it regardless, and plan on eventually making it fretless (via taking the fingerboard off with a hotknife and puting on a longer ebony one...)

thanks for your opinions!

2. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    Based on what specific purpose or criteria? I must be missing something here... :confused:

MM

3. Oh ok...

um.... yeah, placement and type... which you think would match the bass better...

I play some indie rock stuff, jazz, and noize (lots of harmonics and distortion)

ill move that up to the first post

4. ElBajista

ElBajista

Dec 13, 2005
    Sebring, FL
    Are you asking for recommendations based on appearance or tone? if you're worried about how the pickups will fit with the body style, just get some matching wood "soapbar-ish" covers. That way you'd be able to put whatever pickup type underneath them without worrying about how well they fit in, cosmetically speaking.

BTW, That body is screaming for wooden hardware (knobs, pickups covers, etc.)

*EDIT*

Weren't you planning on putting in some Darkstars in this bass? Or do I have the wrong guy?

BTW, I demand more info about the wood used to make that body. That's going to be one great looking bass.

5. FuManChu

FuManChu

Mar 3, 2005
    Cincinnati
    Wow that is a beautiful bass body!! Looks like a walnut top?? I agree with the other post that you have to keep this thing as "Woody" as possible. Jazz pickups with wooden covers and maybe even a bridge similar to a warwick but with string thru ferrules. The focus being on not really having a standard bridge but letting the string go thru the body. This reminds me of a cleaned up version of the old Ampeg Scroll Neck bass body. Where did you get this? I'm extremely envious!!!

6. full_bleed

full_bleed

May 27, 2005
    Arizona
    i thought i saw someone on ebay selling ampeg scroll bass bodies that looked just like that. I voted 2 humbuckers

7. Greg Johnsen

Greg Johnsen

May 1, 2005
    Hickory NC
    I vote humbucker single coil with a coil tap for the HB. I didn't see the option so I clicked other.should turn out to be a sweet bass. Good luck.

Greg

8. LOL... i dont even know what a darkstar is... lol... so prolly noth the same guy...

Body: walnut top, cherry middle inlay thing there... i think its a mahogany main body and a walnut back as well...

got it on ebay... it was the first of a fiew that someone was making... i payed 150 dollars for it... so it wasnt exactly cheap... but, i like it a hole lot more in person than even in that picture...

well, i mean, sound was really the idea, i was planning on the pickup covers anyway (cherry)

also, about the bridge...
    evidently, ets is going to be able to make a wooden bridge soon, a company from germany... in which case, ill get it made in walnut, and cut holes for piezo tabs...

9. ElBajista

ElBajista

Dec 13, 2005
    Sebring, FL
    +1 on the 2-piece bridge and string-through ferrules. Great idea.

10. ElBajista

ElBajista

Dec 13, 2005
    Sebring, FL
    Okay, if sound is the idea, what are you looking for? Jazz bass honk? P bass thump? MM clank?

I voted for two humbuckers, with the thought that you can have a Ser/Par/SC switch for each, and pretty much get whatever sound you're looking for, especially if you're using Piezo pickups as well.

12. ElBajista

ElBajista

Dec 13, 2005
    Sebring, FL

13. hmm... i mean, ive had alot of people in real life say that a jbass setup would go well with the fretless... and that the hollow body might make it sound good...

im at such a decision... arg!

maybe i should go strict piezo... that could be hip...