1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Opinions on possible new bass purchase

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by chrose1201, Aug 31, 2008.

1. chrose1201

chrose1201

Sep 23, 2007
    Upstate NY
    Due to the fact that GC is having a very good sale this weekend I would like some opinions. First the music. I am playing anything from jazz standards at weddings to Christina Aguilera outdoors. I currently have a Peavy BXP Grind bass which is very nice, but I may sell it for either:
    • Schector (not sure which)
    • Fender Deluxe P Bass Special
    The Schectors are pretty nice loking and I did like the way they played. But of course the Fender gives me a Jazz neck which I like and the P body and both pups. The Peavy is also nice, but not great. I would like the MM Stingray or similar, but currently that is not in my price range.
    I just want your opinions. Sell Peavy and buy Fender or Schector or keep Peavy?
    Thanks for your thoughts. The more I get the better informed decision I can make.

2. CPplaysBASS

CPplaysBASS

Mar 17, 2007
    Ontario
    I can only speak about the Fender Deluxe P Special since I've owned one for about 8 weeks now.

The pickups are whisper quiet, I have a great range of tones available, it's very easy to get a good tone that cuts through live (my band plays pop/funk, guitar player ranges from crystal clean to heavy distortion).

Most noticeably, I've chosen to use it in 3 out of 4 gigs in which I've also had my '08 MIA Jazz available (which everyone is raving about for VERY GOOD reason ... but I LOVE my Fender Deluxe P Special).

Highly recommended, but not necessarily over the other two you mentioned since I've never tried them.

3. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    If you're no longer happy with your Peavey, buy the bass that YOU like best out of your choices. I'd also pick the Fender, but it's what feels/sounds good to you that matters.