Opinions on Practice Amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by shakeyeraz, Aug 26, 2002.

1. shakeyeraz

Aug 25, 2002
    My rig is too much to lug home for practicing alone (I have 2 Eden 4X10's) and I want a decent practice amp. I'm thinking that this amp would deliver good clear sound with not a lot of power. I'm sure that I"m not the only person facing this so would appreciate your thoughts and comments on brand, model, power, new or used, whatever. TIA
  2. TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    Haven't ashdown just made some small practice combo's a 1x8 1x12 and a 1x15 not sure what there called and there not on the site but there was thread about them a couple of days ago.
  3. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    I love the Peavey Microbass myself. :)
  4. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Look into local stores and want ads and find the cheapest used amp you can find.

OK, I'd still avoid Rogue and Gorilla but there are plenty of small bass amps you can find for under $100 (even under $50) that will do the job.

As far as "not a lot of power" and "good clean sound" well the two go hand in hand, sadly. I have never heard a small practice amp for bass that sounded good, period. It's impossible to get a fat low end out of a small speaker, small box and low power.

Get up to about 50 watts and a decent sized speaker and you're in business. Just because the volume knob goes to 10 doesn't mean you can't set it at 1 or 2 :cool:

Good example would be this used Crate amp I found last summer: 60 watts, 15" speaker, $50.
  5. SWR Workingmans 10! Bad ass little box.
  6. get a 112 or 112 cab and use it with your current head...unless its got to much power (600w +). This is what i'm hoping to do for uni
    trying the eden CXM 112 on friday

7. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

How much money are you spending, and does your bass have a low B string?
  8. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    I ditched the whole practice amp idea and just got a Raven Labs PHA-1. Expensive as hell, but unlike a lot of my toys, I actually use this one.
  9. PeaveyTNT

PeaveyTNT Banned

Jul 21, 2002
  10. Screw the combo idea and just get a 2x10 for home and lug your amp around.
  11. ampeg ba-112
    fender bassman 60
    Both are loud enough to rehearse with (assuming you practice at reasonable volumes) they are great sounding personal practice amps too. Not sure about the fender but the ampeg offers cd and headphone connectivity.
  12. shakeyeraz

Aug 25, 2002
    Lots of great thoughts on this - and lots of different opinions. That's cool. Thanks to everyone that replied so far. This is extremely helpful.

I just sold my Warwick 5-string and am buying a Thumb 4-string so there's no Low-B now. I need to improve my technique so am looking for something that does sound somewhat decent so I can hear the detail. Spending about $300 would be my limit.

I like the idea of getting a 2X10 or 1X12 cabinet and using my current amp. Thanks, Si, Donne. Good idea (why didn't I think of that?) :rolleyes:

Also, thanks for the advice on what to stay away from if I do go the combo route.

Rick - I did look at the Ampegs 110 and 115 and they are my first choice for a combo. Clean and reasonable $$$ new - can't seem to find them used though.
  13. LM Bass

LM Bass

Jul 19, 2002
    Vancouver, BC
    Raven Labs PHA-1 rules. If you have a bass with a good onboard preamp you can get away with running into a Behringer 4 channel mini-mixer for cheap. Headphones solve a lot of problems with living arrangements.
    Actually, your neighbours told me that they really really want you to get a headphone amp. . . :D
    (just kidding)
  14. tim4003

Apr 30, 2002
    Dawsonville , GA
    Check out a Peavey Minx 110.
    35watts at about $180.
  15. Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    I would recommend a model with AUX-in and phones out jacks because this allows silent practicing at any day- or nighttime... I think the Ampeg BA combos provide that.

Personally I went one step further: I said my practice amp should also be usable for low volume practices and gigs and be super portable (for all those occsions where I don't want to get my main rig from our band room).
    My GK MB150 does this job very well - but it's much more than your price range...

16. Ashdown Electric Blue 130! I just bought one of these little beasties for the same reasons as you! I got the 15" version 'cos I still use a low B, however they did have a 1 x 12" at the same price. They put out 130 watts.

Now, they have just upgraded the range and I believe the newer ones incllude a 1 x 8 (or 10) can't remember, and they now produce 150 watts - which makes the 130 watt ones quite cheap now (I bought one for this reason) IT's a damned protable little amp, reproduces the low B and the rest of the notes for that matter very clearly and I think it's a lot of amp for the money!
  17. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2001
    I like the Hartke Kickback 12 for practicing. I only wish it had multiple inputs so I could play along with the music using my headphones.

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    Buy an Eden CXM110 cabinet, and use your existing head with it. You can keep the eden tone, and if you ever have a small gig, it would be quite good as well.