Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Opinions on pre-amp tubes concerning OD tone.

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Droog, Mar 1, 2005.

1. Droog

Droog

Aug 14, 2003
    PDX
    Hey there. So I bought a pre amp/OD unit. It is the Blue Tube RT904. Rack mount, spiffy littly thing. What I like about is that it has line level I/O as well as instrument, so that i can stick in my effects loop and rack it. However I am not to happy with the results I am getting. My first thought is to change the pre-amp tube. 12AX7 I believe. Will be opening it up to see whats in side in the next hour or so. So my question is, what tubes do you all like for OD? A nice drive or distortion is what I am after and right now its a little buzzy. I like the JJ's in my 400+ but maybe there are better choices when pushing the tube into clipping.

Well thanks all. Here is what the RT904 looks like.[​IMG]

2. SubversivePinko

SubversivePinko No use for an ironic title

Feb 19, 2005
    Bellingam, WA
    I really like the Groove Tubes Mullard 12AX7 I just installed in my tube pre. I'd check out Torres Engineering's info on tubes, and I'd highly recommend ordering from them. Good prices, and my tubes got here in 2 days.

3. Droog

Droog

Aug 14, 2003
    PDX
    Checked out Torres, seems like a good resource. I will keep the mullards in mind.

In the mean time. I popped this baby open and inside I found a tube that says: REAL, Yugoslavia 12ax7a. What the hell is that? Cheap-o I think.

4. SubversivePinko

Feb 19, 2005
    Bellingam, WA
    Not sure about that brand, but keep in mind that some pretty good tubes are made in Eastern Europe and Russia.

5. Droog

Droog

Aug 14, 2003
    PDX
    True, but I'll be damned if I can find one these anywhere on the net.

I just remember I has some Mesa 12ax7's at home, worst case scenario I'll try one of those.

Thanks.

6. dunamis

dunamis

Aug 2, 2004
    Charlotte
    My favorite is the NOS JAN 5751 tube. Slightly less overall gain than the 12AX7, but can be quieter than some, and they OD nicely.

7. SubversivePinko

Feb 19, 2005
    Bellingam, WA
    I tried a 5751 (a Sovtek...the NOS JAN's are a bit out of my price range, IIRC) and liked it for lower-gain settings for some grit.

8. Matteran

Matteran Banned

Jan 1, 2005
    Santa Rosa, CA
    i've tried JJs, Groovetubes, and stock sovteks. Searching for basically the most gain/tone i could get.

Well, i bought an Electro-Harmonix 12AX7 tube, and MY GOD, at the same volume, the output is like doubled. The tone is much much thicker and sweeter. So now, for pre-amp tubes, i live by these, and for Power tubes JJ 6L6.

Here it is

seriously, you will not be dissapointed.