Opinions on Rig Idea

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by chaosMK, Jul 28, 2005.

1. chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    Hey everyone,

I was just offered a good deal on a Mesa 400 (ebay auction that ended, but the winner never paid up so they contacted me) and am thinking of taking them up on it. I am considering selling off some equipment and ending up with something along these lines-

Mesa 400
    SWR WM 2x12
    SWR WM 1x15

What I use now is-
    Ashdown MAG300
    Mesa Diesel 1x15
    SWR WM 1x15
    (usually combined as Mesa/SWR or SWR/Avatar- both great mixes)

Would I be just as well off with the cabinet options I have already?
  2. I dont know how the SWR cabs would sound with the 400 they are designed to be pretty hi-fi, where the amp isnt (well, ok, maybe among that style of tube amp it is)
  3. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    First of all, make sure the second chance offer is legitimate. That is one of the most common ebay scams.

I recommend a sealed cab with 10s for a Mesa 400. I use a Bergantino NV610 and it sounds great.
  4. whats the big difference between a sealed cab and ported cab with tube amps?

im still to try a sealed one with mine, ive just been told they sound alot better!
  5. Juniorkimbrough

Mar 22, 2005
    Mississippi / Memphis, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland Basses
    get an Eden 410 and be done with it..
  6. chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    I posted because I am kind of uncertain about how the hifi-ish cab mix would work with tubes. I think the SWR are great enhancement for a sort of medium head like I am using now, but from what I'm gathering, maybe not a thick tube head. Any other thoughts on this?
  7. When you get the mesa 400 try it with the 2 different 15's that you have (seperatly) and see which sound you like more :)