opinions on roscoe beck V

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Claypool-esque, Mar 30, 2002.

1. Claypool-esque

Mar 18, 2002
    well, i finally gave in and started testing out some fender jazz basses. after having a bad experience with a crappy mexican made jazz, i vowed never to go back. buti tried a smooth american made today and the bark that thing put out nearly made me poop my pants. but im looking for a bass with more versatility then a jazz, which brought me to the beck bass. i played one long ago, but i can't remember what it sounded like. anyone have any opinions? can it achieve the jazz sound and musicman sound like people say? also hows the output since its passive

thanks a bunch for the help
  2. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    The RBV has been covered ad infinitum here. Do a search.

My 2 cents: it's the "real" Fender 5-string jazz. Can do the other stuff, but opinions vary as to how realistic the P and Stingray impersonations are. It's lower output than a standard jazz, per Beck's orders to replicate his vintage '60s instrument.

If you want to drive envelope-following effects, a preamp of some sort is necessary. That's how low the output is.
  3. I own one.

Do a search. I don't want to type all that again.

4. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I own two.

(I don't *need* two, but I traded a four string I was no longer using for the 2nd).
  5. Convert #2 into an RB5-P (that is what I want to do when I get a 2nd RB5)
  6. virtual.ray

Oct 25, 2000
    IMHO it's the only Fender 5 that's worth the bother.I've played on 2 so far and they were both very good and had consistent feel and sound.I may get one someday.
  7. PABass

May 20, 2001
    Allentown, Pa
    I have owned three of these basses they are very versitile and would reccomend one to any one. The amount of tones you can get from this passive bass is unreal.
  8. DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    I have a RB5 and I think it's fabulous fiver. I really like the wide/thin neck and it's range of tones is extremely flexible. It's like a classic Fender Jazz bass with a B string(on the single coil setting) but it also has a ton of other tones.

It has terrific humbucker depth. However it's does NOT nail the vintage Precision tone. It gets into P territory but falls short of nailing it. This is a minor shortcoming given the positive attributes of this bass. If you want passive, Fender tone in a 5 string the RB5 is a great choice.
  9. That is for sure.

I finally bought a MIM P after fiddling around with TI flats, etc. etc on the RB5, trying to get a P tone. A/B comparing the MIM P with the RB5 shows immediately the RB5 cannot get the P tone. No problem, as the RB5 is an exquisite Jazz type bass, and the P nails the P tone.
  10. I've been told that this is the ultimate passive 5. I wouldn't be surprised eitehr, with the tonal options on it....
  11. Jeff Moote

Jeff Moote Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    Well, I agree it's a fantastic instrument, I'd like to believe that the G&L L2500 (though it can go active) is, but that's because I just ordered one ;)

Nevertheless, they're both good. I chose the G&L due to looks, and the fact that I needn't nail a P or J tone, but just have a palette of tones that approximate those and others for varying situations.
  12. DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    bgavin - I've done the same A/B'ing with my '57 RI Precision and come to the same conclusion as you. I guess the old adage is true - if you want a P sound buy a P.
  13. My band mates and gig producer did not like my RB5 tone no matter what I did to it. Neck only, series, parallel, made no difference. TI Jazz Flats were an improvement, but still no like.

I bought the MIM P and now everybody is happy. Except I'd rather have a 5-string P. I've thought long and hard about getting a 2nd RB5 and converting the neck pickup to a split-P type.
  14. I also own an RB-5. It's one of six basses that I own. It's my only 5-string and probably my #3 pick amongst my basses (and that's only because I'm basically a 4-string guy).

The RB-5 will NOT nail a P-Bass or a J-Bass sound. But, it's gets so close that it could almost be called battery. If you want pure P or J sounds, get a P or a J. But, if you want a versatile 5-string that will put you in the same ball park with Ps and Js, as well as many other basses, and have a whole palette of its own sounds, the RB-5 is the bass.

Oh, strings. I won't even attempt to suggest what strings to use. This bass seems to really change its character depending on what strings you have on it. Much more so than any other bass I've ever owned. So there is a whole additional world to explore, after you've played with the many, many tonal possibilities with just its controls.

Mine is a keeper, even though it's not my primary, or even my main backup. My current primary is a Stu Hamm Urge-II and my main backup is an AmStd P.

Check out the RB-5 if you're in the market for a really good, passive 5-string.

Keep Thumpin'! Sammy!