Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Opinions on Sadowsky PJ bass...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by wriosmd, Jun 13, 2003.

1. wriosmd

wriosmd

Jun 1, 2003
    Gainesville, FL
    OK, I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on this bass (and suffering through six months of agony waiting for it). I own a Sadowsky vintage 4 J bass which I adore, but would like the PJ version in my stable too. The PJ looks more versatile than the Ultra-vintage Sadowsky P bass. Would look opinions from users/ owners of this bass...compare and contrast vs the J bass.
    THANKS!!!
    Bill Rios

2. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    HI!

I presently own the two in the pic and have had every conceivable combo Roger offers in 4 and 5 strings. I love my pj4. It has the jazz style neck taper but you can dial in the Pbass thump when you need it. If you're a working player and depend on lots of different tones on stage, it's the way to go. Mine is ash with a morado board.
    I love jj too, but it's nice to have a P tone when playing rock and roll music. I hope you enjoy the journey when it comes to figuring out what you want and finally going for it. Best of luck:D

Rob

3. j.s.basuki

j.s.basuki Supporting Member

May 14, 2000
    asia/australia
    I have, both Sadowsky JJ and a new PJ, with Alder body and Brazilian fingerboaed. This PJ has the option [prerouted] for JJ. I do not like the P sound by it self. When I set the panpot at the middle, it sounded nice and fat.
    Yesterday I change the pick up to JJ and I think it sound even better.

4. I have both too. They are very different basses re woods:
    • Jazz: quilt maple top on swamp ash, maple board
    • PJ: spalt maple top on alder, Brazilian RW board
    They sound different to 'justify' having both. Playing at home I don't love a solo'd P but in my band there are times where it's perfect. The combine PJ sound is wonderful for fingerstyle or slap n' pop. The solo'd bridge J pup is similar to my J bass with it's solo'd J pup but the alder & RW yield a sweeter darker tone in contrast to the swamp ash maple greater percussive and scooped tone. Obviously the PJ will be much more versatile than an Ultravintage P because of the additional J pickup. I am exremely hapy with my two Sadowsky basses.

I see you are in central FL. If you drive down to my area in FL you are more than welcome to try my Sadowsky basses.:bassist:

5. wriosmd

wriosmd

Jun 1, 2003
    Gainesville, FL
    :bassist:Thanks...I may take you up on that.

6. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    i just comissioned Roge to build me a 5 string PJ.

btw, you can order the P pickup in either the normal orientation, or reverse, where the top coil is closer to the bridge.

from their website:

also, unmentioned and confirmed by Frank at the shop, but the route for the P pickup is universal in the "vintage" pickguard styled bass. so, if you dont like the regular orientation, you can flip it at will with the right pickguard.

7. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    oh no! won't Betsy be some kind of jealous? :eek:

8. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    hehe, hopefully not...

she'll always be my goto bass for the j pickup stylie. but hey, we all could use a little pbass lovin' in our playing, no? :D

9. That's a great option. On my PJ4 spalt maple top without a pickguard I can't do that. But I dig it the way it is.