Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Opinions on Schecter basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pgurns, Dec 26, 2003.

1. pgurns

pgurns

Dec 26, 2003
    Northern, IL
    I am looking to buy a new bass to upgrade from my Dean Edge 1. I am a novice/intermediate player. What is your opinion of Schecter basses, I am particularly inerested in the C4 Elite.

Thanks for any help yuou can provide. I am new to bass playing so any information or reccomendations you can provide however trivial is greatly appreciated.

Paul

2. In Flames

In Flames

Dec 11, 2003
    Ohio
    I think they are good basses for the money.

3. pgurns

pgurns

Dec 26, 2003
    Northern, IL
    Thanks for the reply. They look fantastic. I have heard mixed opinions on the EMG HZ pups though.

I am trying to decide between the Schecter C4 and possibly a Lakland Skyline series 44-01.

The Schecter looks much better but I think the pups and electronics on the Lakland would be better. Not sure about the playability and feel though.

4. To my experience, schecter basses have extremely tinny tone and have a... gross kind of feel to them.

THen again, floor models usually suck, and that's all I'm basing this on.

Eh.

5. hateater

hateater snatch canadian cream

May 4, 2001
    Eugene, OR
    I am guessing you have not played a Lakland? I own a 55-01, and it kicks major booty! I have never been satisfied with any schecter I have played. Go Lakland my friend.

6. Poon

Poon

May 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    Like mentioned before, Schecter make some nice basses...especially for the amount of cash you put down. I think that Lakland and Schecter are in two different schools of thought sound wise. I think that Lakland as versatile as they are have the Fenderish School of sound and feel to them. The 55-01's that i've tried are very much related to the jazz bass vibe. The two 55-02's that I own each sound different, one with more emphasis on the Fender Jazz Bass Sound, the Other with the Hot Ernie Ball Music man Sound. Back to the point, I think Schecter really makes basses in another school of thought. They make the HOT signal spector esk or wooten esk tone that is very equatable to the EMG pickups. However, I think that comparing the two are apples and oranges, but if you are comparing their value, I really think both are great. If I really had the urge I could get the Stilletto Studio 6, which is neck-thru body, 35" scale, EMG-HZ's as well as 18V preamp. Hard to beat for $699 or less brand new. However, I didn't really like the feel of the bass. It sounded good, just didn't feel right to me. Anyway, hope that helps.

7. Airsick Pilot

Airsick Pilot Cleopatra

Jul 29, 2002
    Cockpit(throwing up)

8. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    They're good basses for the money and descent basses overall. Occasionally people get fooled into buying them. A lot of people can't distinguish between active circutry and active pickups. Schecters (except for the Hellcats) are not made with active pickups. Also, they don't sound as good as they look, but that's just because they look more beautiful than %90 of the off the shelf basses on the market today. Anyone want one? PM me!

9. pgurns

pgurns

Dec 26, 2003
    Northern, IL
    Well I went to Guitar Center and bought the C-4 Elite for 487 bucks. I will say it does look awesome. It alsofeels very comfortable. I am not sure about the neck though, it does not seem to play any better than my Dean Edge 1 did. I had the guitar setup and it seems that I get fret noise unless the action is set somewhat high.

Like I said previously I am no expert by any means so I dont know if the noise is my poor tecnique or what.

With the bass unplugged how much if any fret noise should be heard? What I noticed is that when the string is down alkl the way there is no buzz, but while lifting your finger up it buzzes for a second. It does this evrywhere on the neck, this may be normal but I dont know. I apologize iof these questions are stupid but I really don't know the ansers due to lack of experience.

10. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    Buzzing can be attributed to a lot of things. You may need a truss rod adjustment. Your technique might be bad. If those strings are extremely new, you might need to play them for a few hours. Moving on to more doubtful scenerios, you may have a problem with your bridge. You may have a problem with the nut. You may have a problem with the tuners. If there is a string retainer, you may have a problem there. I've never played a C-4, but my Stiletto Elite never had a buzzing problem. Wait a week, your problem might fix itself.

11. You might check to see if the strings are the same guage you are used to playing on. (I would check the strings!)

A heavier guage string will need you to press harder to keep the buzz away.

As already stated, this could be a number of things though.

[​IMG]
    Treena

12. pgurns

pgurns

Dec 26, 2003
    Northern, IL
    Thanks for all the input. I will play it for a week or so and see if I just need to get adjusted to the new bass.

You guys (and girls) have been great thanks again

paul

13. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

It is interesting when someone askes about Schecter their US Custom Shop is never mentioned, i guess it is their diamond series that has broght them in to the main streem. Good Luck in your schecter hunt:)

14. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    great looking basses, especially the C5, but the string spacing is impossble for me. 4 strings are better though.
    Decent sound, could be improved by popping in the top of the line EMG series.

15. Set up is all personal preference. I cannot play my bass teacher's bass, it would buzz all over for me. I tend to play more aggressive or "dig in", especially when I'm really into it. My teacher though is really self controlled, he can play with the lighest touch, it's sick.

When you listen to Victor Wooten, either unplugged, or with his amp at really low volume, his bass buzzes all over the place. That would drive me nuts, but he does a lot of tap style playing, where you need pretty low action.

You can search this site in the set up forum, and learn how to set it up to "your taste". Or you can take it to someone who does it professionally and have them set it up to your playing style. Make sure you play it before leaving, and let them know if you like it or not. It's their job to make your bass play the way you want it to.

16. pgurns

pgurns

Dec 26, 2003
    Northern, IL
    Thanks Chump Stain that explains a lot.

I also tend to be a bit more aggressive I'm finding out. Maybe I should get the action raised a bit and see how that goes.

Any info on what role string gauge plays in the whole mix as far as light vs heavy playing styles.

Paul

17. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Moving from a Dean Edge to a Schecter C series is really more of a lateral move than an upgrade.

They are nice basses for the price, but about the same build and tonal quality as the Dean.

The Schecter does look nicer.

18. pgurns

pgurns

Dec 26, 2003
    Northern, IL
    I figured the Schecter would be an upgrade from the Dean Edge 1 which, as I understand it is their entry level bass.

How does a $199 bass as compared to a $499 bass constitute a lateral move?

Are the Schecters that overpriced or are the Deans that good of a value? Or are you comapring the Schecter to like a Dean Edge 4 or other series?

Paul

19. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    I disagree here with Embellisher. However, don't assume that the price makes the bass better.

I think that the C-4 sounds better than the Dean Edge-1. The difference is not terribly large; however, present none the less.

20. pgurns

pgurns

Dec 26, 2003
    Northern, IL
    Well I must say that since I started this thread I have learned a whole lot about basses. I now truly understand what you were getting at Embellisher.

Since this thread I bought a Warwick Thumb 4 Bolt On and just the other day sold it and bought a Lakland 44-02 Deluxe with Duncans. I now know the difference in craftsmanship, tone and playability between the Dean/Schecter c series and the above mentioned basses. Wow six months ago I would have bet my life I would never spend 1,000 plus dollars on a bass but damn is it easy to do :)

Thanks to all who provided input
    Paul