Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Opinions on selling my MIA Jazz V, Please!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BIg O, May 19, 2004.

1. Yes, you will never use the bass again

5 vote(s)
    15.6%
  2. No, you will regret it for the rest of your life

7 vote(s)
    21.9%
  3. Eat some carrots and you will see the answer clearly, my son.

20 vote(s)
    62.5%
  1. OK, I hate when i see threads like this, but I think I understand them a little better given my indecision on this subject. I am only interested in opinions with some sort of rationale, not in the usual "do what you want", "yes" or "no" answers.
    :help:
    I have been holding on to my 1996 MIA Jazz V (from Fender's 50th anniversary year) because it is my only Fender (brother to 3 F-Basses and a Lakland Skyline P Bass). I keep telling myself I will play it at a gig again, but haven't in ~2 years. Every time I fool with it, especially with the Sadowsky preamp/DI, I remember how great it can sound. Except it is one-dimensional compared to my F's and when I A/B it with any of the other basses, it seems a little weak both in terms of playability and range of tone (well the Lakland Glaub tone is a narrow range, but it is just a new toy and may not last with me forever...).

So, I could use the cash, and am thinking of selling it (along with the Sadowsky preamp/DI). The bass may some day be collectible, but I think not, so the only reason for holding on to it is sentiment - right? :help:

Can you guys come up with any creative reasons why I SHOULD

(a)keep it, or
    (b)sell it?
    :confused:

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Do you need the money?

3. Would you potentially use it for recording purposes?

Keep in mind that if you decide to sell it will likely get more use from the new owner. There may be some TBers who could really benefit.

4. I think if you haven't really played it for two years, then you obviously prefer to use your other basses... Sell it! You can get some GAS cash and make the buyer happy (i know there have been threads recently regarding J Vs)...

5. Walbassman

Walbassman

Nov 27, 2002
    Nashville, TN
    If you are not using it, then move it on. Let's face it, if you are not even sure that you are going to hold on to the skyline, then unless you need the Fender sound for a session or someone asks you for it, put that money towards another F bass??? :rollno:

6. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    If selling your Fender is making you debate it enough to post a question online, I suspect that in your heart you really want to to keep your Fender V. That is not to say that you wouldn't be happy if you sold it. Hell, all of us can live with selling a bass we love because 99.44% of us have done just that! Still, keep your Fender, if you really want some thing else, just hustle and be cheap until you scrounge the money needed for another bass. :eyebrow:

7. Sell it! That bass is being wasted by not getting played. Get the cash and go enjoy something else. Ever been to a Foxy Ladies?.. :eek:

8. As I grow older, the word "need" becomes more meaningless. So I don't "need" the cash, but a few extra bucks are always good to have around... ;)

9. No, you will regret it for the rest of your life........ :eyebrow:

Treena

10. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    Well, If it is a "Collectors" item (sort of) then you should keep it, just because of that, put it in a Shadow box or something... If you NEED the Money, Sell it, Put the Money in a Sadowsky or something, because it sounds like you like the way it look's and or plays, but are unsatisfied with the sound (Hmmm... Thats a Fender alright...) So I think you should invest into a Sadowsky it take the "Good" points of Fender, and takes out all the crap. Nothing but positives from Sadowsky.