1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Opinions on small / lightweight portable bass heads

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by heathenscum, Jan 22, 2012.

1. heathenscum

heathenscum

Aug 21, 2008
    Can anyone share pros / cons on these small, lightweight, bass heads? Like the Gallien-Krueger MB series, the Genz Benz shuttle, the Mark Bass amps, Eden, etc... I'm sure there are many more, but I am pretty unfamiliar with actual user experiences with these amps, so I am hoping some of you can share your experiences?

I need something with enough power to drive an Ampeg 410-HLF for gigs and not have to lug an old heavy bass amp around anymore.

Thank you -

2. Mulebagger

Mulebagger

Dec 12, 2007
    poppin in the corn belt
    Endorsing Artist: Zon Guitars, Tsunami Cables, DR Strings, GK
    mark bass, aguilar, GB, ..most micro heads will power a 4x10, unless your 4x10 is a gas hog, and then you might feel like you need more power.

3. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    They all have many threads each, and they all are capable of pushing your 410hlf. It all boils down to personal preferences. I suggest spending a couple hours reading through all the various existing threads.

4. nutdog

nutdog when I'm a good dog they sometimes throw me a bone

Feb 19, 2009
    in the dog house
    Be careful. The next thing you know you won't want to haul that old heavy cab around. It's happened many times before.:D

5. Russell L

Russell L

Mar 5, 2011
    Cayce, SC
    Wait and see what folks think of the new Markbass Big Bang head.

6. seedokebass

seedokebass

Mar 21, 2009
    Minnesota
    That thing is tiny! Seems pretty cool, especially the footswitchable VLE and VPF filters.

To the OP: I've been rockin a Markbass SD800 since they came out. It's not a micro, but the weight/wattage ratio is great. 750 watts at 7 pounds! I run a Sansamp RBI into the FX loop of the Markbass, using it like a poweramp. But, I can still use the whole EQ section and filters. Tons of flexibility, and it gets loud!

I would say the only con is the weight of the rack and the RBI is more than the amp itself.

7. Velcro it to your cab so you dont pull it off!!

8. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Amen. There are a number of long, long threads singing the praises of the Micro heads, especially the Genz-Benz heads. Search for them and we won't have to repeat everything in them.

I used a Genz Shuttle 6.0 once, immediately fell in love, sold all my heavy old gear (including a Sunn Coliseum-300, 4x10 and single 15) and went to the Genz amp and cabs. Never have looked back, either. They're FANTASTIC. More power, less weight, superb sound.

9. Catbuster

Catbuster

Aug 25, 2010
    Louisville, KY.
    Nothing from what I can tell. I've got a 1001RBII & 700RB. The MB500 powered my 410 as well as the 700RB. I don't think it would drive two 410s as well as the 700, though.

10. BioDriver

BioDriver A Cinderella story

Aug 29, 2008
    Austin, TX
    The only con I can think of is selling your current gear to get a micro head :bag:

I made the switch to a GB Streamliner and I don't think I'll own anything but GB micros now.

11. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

That's actually an advantage, because then you don't have to carry it around.

12. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    With a 410HLF, I'd do the SVT 7 Pro. Not quite a micro, but still way smaller than most amps and sounds quite dreamy in that cab. You could also do a PF500, be smaller, and save some money and get almost the same sound.

13. scottfeldstein

scottfeldstein Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2011
    West Bend, Wisconsin
    I know I like my GK MB500. I run a solid state head and get my dirt off my pedal board. If it were otherwise, I'd maybe look at a Genz Streamliner. Not exactly micro, but can dial up some grit.

14. heathenscum

heathenscum

Aug 21, 2008
    The GK MB500 is looking good. Is the only difference between he MB500 and the MB Fusion the tube pre-amp and the additional $300? Also, what is the foot switch used for with the GK MB500?

When will the Markbass Big Bang be available & what is the pricing?

Thanks everyone -

15. scottfeldstein

scottfeldstein Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2011
    West Bend, Wisconsin
    The footswitch is to engage/disengage the Boost channel. It has a post-eq gain stage that lets you dial in more grind or just more volume.