Opinions on Small, Low Power Combo

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ESP-LTD, Apr 18, 2002.

1. ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    I am looking for input on a purchase. I play a 5 string neck-thru and I'm looking for a small combo in the cheap (under $400 range) for practice by myself in a small room. The overall volume must remain very low due to issues with neighbors.

I'm looking at things in the class of:

Fender Bassman 25
    Fender BXR 25
    Trace Boxer 30
    Trace Boxer 65 (may be too loud)
    SWR LA 8
    Peavey Microbass
    GK Backline 110

I'd be interested in hearing any opinions on these or this class of amp. I'd like good sound, but I can't use LOUD so I don't want to pay for it.
  2. WordIsBorn79

Jan 10, 2001
    Phoenix, AZ
    Hey man, get the Bassman 25. It's a great practice amp, has awesome tone, and isn't too loud. The cost should be somewhat inexpensive, too. :cool:
  3. Samie

Dec 13, 2000
    Madrid, Spain
    I bought a korean cheapo 20w practice amp and it works great for practice.

At low volumes they all sound good enough for practice. i also have a 5 string.

So unless you are looking for especial features... go the cheapest one you can get.
  4. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Had my little baby for sale (killer 150 watt single 10" combo for sale on Ebay). It sold last night. Link here--> Link

That little amp rocked!!!
  5. SRSiegel

SRSiegel Guest

Sep 17, 2001
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    get the bassman. it has the guts to reproduce low notes cleanly. of course if anything gets too loud you can always turn it down. (i keep my 600 watt stack in my dorm room:cool: )

i heard a friend playing on a bassman 25... and was looking for the 15" cab. it sounded that round and full.

best tone for the money, handles the low ranges well, small, well within your price range...
  6. bass2020

Aug 27, 2000
    Memphis, TN
    Don't get the Microbass, I HATE mine.