Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Opinions on some basses please . . .

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by i_got_a_mohawk, Apr 6, 2005.

1. Right, student loan comes through soonish, and im in the market for a decent 4 string bass with a P and J pup array

Im looking at these:

Fender Delux Zone Bass

Fender Dimension IV Bass

Fender Aerodyne Jazz Bass
    (Pic of the Aerodyne)

Im also considering an ATK, but, no, that shall be bought on another occasion regardless ;)

Going by music123.com theres about $100 difference between the 3 of them, each bass has things i like, and thanks to scotland having crap music shops, there wont be any in them for me to try, so im going to have to go by opinions :help: :scowl:

Cheers guys :bassist:

2. I dont like yamaha's personally, plus its active pups im looking for :p

3. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I would look at both MIM and MIA Deluxe Jazz as well. Great tone. MIA has 18volt pre and MIM has 9volt pre.

-Bazz-

4. slickhare

slickhare

Feb 2, 2005
    ooooo! that aerodyne is hott in black! i love the look. bet it plays well too! *droolz* GAS

5. WarwickFan

WarwickFan

Feb 7, 2005
    Florida
    Well if I had to pick one, on looks alone it would be the Aerodyne. But, IMHO, if you pick a bass, or woman for that matter, based on looks alone, in the end you will be sorry. I am sure to return from where you are would be expensive. For me if I was going to purchase a Fender sight unseen, the best bet would be a MIA.

6. :) I can't help on the choices, but I had to tell ya,
    I got a kick out the "student loan comes through soonish" part of your post. I spent over half of my first student loan on a killer stereo system. Lived on 20lbs bags of potatoes almost exclusively for the better part of a year after that.

20 years later, and I'm still using parts of that system. Best poor money managment decision I've ever made.

:D
    Bob

7. Friend of mine has a "Zone", I havent played it myself, but he swears by it. and he's got a "FEW" basses...

8. Get the dimension!!!!!

I have a very similar bass that fender doesn't make anymore. Its a fender Prophecy Phase II. They made it in Japan from the late 80's up til around '94. I love this bass, it sounds amazing.

I've played a dimension as well, and it sounds damn close to how the prophecy sounds. Grab one of those!

9. I got my half stack, and 6 string, and sansamp of my other parts of student loan :cool:

Cheers for everyones feedback

The only thing i dont like about the aerodyne is its only got 20 frets and the dials are manky, but the dials are changeable, it also has a nice white/cream binding which you dont see in that picture, love how it doesnt have the front fret markings too

10. FireAarro

FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    austr-
    I thought you were looking for activity though? The Aerodyne is passive.

11. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    The Aerodyne is passive.

Out of those, I'd go for the Zone.

12. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

All of those basses have passive pickups.

13. Since I owned both Ibanez and Yamaha basses. you should try the yamaha bb 604 as you might like it. (same buget+/- $500)

14. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    I just bought one of these bad boys two weeks ago...I was sceptical at first at the price. Seemed like alot for a japanese Fender. However, Every japanese fender I've seen/played has been a very good instrument. Especially the 80's ones. Anyway, I posted a thread on here about it:
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=171018&highlight=aerodyne+jazz

I bought it...and I absolutely love it!! It looks bad as hell, it plays great, and it's lightweight. People were complaining about the pickups, an at fisrt I didn't like them. At least on my practice amp. But my practice amp is a piece of crap. So when I got a chance to try it on my full rig, I found them to be pretty good. The jbass pickup is a little noisy by itself. But I never use just the bridge pup. They have a nice punchy mid-range tone...a little lacking on big bottom end. So, I added an Aphex Bass Exciter which fattened up the bottom to exactly what I wanted from my tone. I might upgrade them still...just to make it sound even better. But i'm content for now.

The next addition is a Zvex wooly Mammoth and my setup will be complete...at least for a month or two.:rollno: