Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Opinions on some possible amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Mr. Gone, Mar 14, 2002.

1. I'm looking into getting a new amp. For now I'll be playing rock/funk/blues through a Hartke 4.5XL but I will be getting a 2x12 eventually.
    Here's what I'm looking into:

-Aguilar DB359 or DB750 (anyone know the difference in sound between the two?)
    -EBS Fafner
    -Kern IP-777 w/a QSC1602 or 2402 power amp (or maybe a Carvin DM1500 or QSC1805HD)

Any opinions or other suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! :confused:

2. chucko58

chucko58

Jan 17, 2002
    Silicon Valley, CA, USA
    I paid for all my gear myself. Well, me and MasterCard.
    If you go the pre/power amp route, be aware there is a substantial weight difference between the QSC PLX series and the RMX/DCM amps. The PLX series is less than half the weight of the RMX 1850HD. The DCM1500 isn't quite as heavy - or as powerful - as the RMX, but it's also nowhere near as light as the PLX.

A 40 lb. rack is bad enough to lug around. With the RMX, it's more like 60 lbs.!

This isn't idle speculation. I have an RMX 1850HD and my rack does weigh 60 lbs. Whenever I have to move it, I wish I'd bought the PLX 2402 instead. Then I turn it up and rattle the walls, and the weight doesn't bother me so much. :D

3. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    I'm waiting to see an Aggie Hybrid 750 (DB750). The DB570 has a tube pre and solid state amp.

The DB359 is a 200watt RMS all tube head. It's probably got a bit more head room to spare over the 750. I think the sound is sort of tube dirty, but distinctively Aguillar.

They should price comparably, though the DB750 will be a little higher.

I never tried the Kern777 though I've heard good stuff. The good thing is, the power amp should provide reliable clean wattage. If you turn out not to like the tone you get from the Kern, you can go with another pre and keep the power amp.

If you don't like the sound of the Aguillar, well, you have to start from scratch.