1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Opinions on Sound Quality

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by JetBlackJazz, Jun 28, 2012.

1. Say we plug an ordinary old Fender Standard Jazz bass into a an ART ProChannel (I or II or whatever) preamp into a Crown XLS series amp into (say an Aguilar or Ampeg or what have you) cab. How much actual character is present in the tone? Is it stale to just plug a regular preamp or channel strip into a PA or is that inherently an amplifier rig?

Simply,

Would using a channel strip or average preamp (with no 'character') into a PA into a cab be sufficient for tone?

Is a regular amp setup inherently just a pre/PA/cab?

2. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    The trick is finding a preamp that doesn't have any character. ;)

3. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    If your tone appears no matter what you play into, yes. If you look at different gear and wish it would do what you want, no.

4. I have an ART pro channel II, into a Peavey IPR 1600, into a fEARful 1515/66/1. It's a beast, love the tone I get with my American jazz deluxe, stingray hs v, or pBass.

5. Rick Auricchio

Rick Auricchio Registered Bass Offender

Tone is a highly subjective thing, like how much hot pepper to put into your food. Some will say "too mild," others "too hot," and still others "just right."

What you hear and what you like is completely different from everyone else.

6. So that's all your setup is?

7. That's one rig I use yes. Not extra pedals or anything.

8. Wow. Brave of you. What do you think of using the pre/pa/cab deal?

(oh an what is the roundabout cost of a fEARful)?

9. I love it, everything I do changes my tone, the way I play, whwre I play, the pick ups I use. I have so much control, with my hands and with the eq.

The plans are free, you can build one on your own time and dime. There are authorized builders as well. Their prices vary with options and materials.

10. grendle

grendle

Mar 4, 2011
    Central FL
    Yep mine is simple . Spector into Korg tuner, svt2 pre, samson power amp, svt 810e. Bliss...:). For shows its bass into a radial jdi di, into the rig. That's it. I roll the treble up for more grit if I want. That's it.

11. Lol nice

12. The nice thing about the fEARful is your preempt sends one signal, your cab will sound the same as the pa.

13. Cool

14. Also a dual 15 fEARful rig blows the doors off of an 810 volume wise.

15. Saweet.

16. tom-g

tom-g

Oct 2, 2007
    I'm using a similar setup - Jazz Bass -> Art Pro Channel I -> XLS 1000 -> fEARful 15/6. No effects at all. I usually run the preamp with compressor and tone control disengaged.

17. Oobly

Oobly

Jun 19, 2008
    Me too, Ibanez bass with custom pickups, DHA VT2 tube preamp, XLS1500 and fEARful 15/6/1.

All the tone shaping happens before the PA.

18. +1 to this. Adding to it:

The other thing that a LOT of people say after they try out a fEARful is that tonal controls on which ever pre or amp you use matter a whole lot more. Little tweaks matter to your sound where they might not with other cabs because these are very responsive. You are not fighting or trying to use the voicing of the cab like you might with some commercial cabs. Its not to say those commercial cabs are bad, but you have to work with them knowing the baked in voicing. In the same turn with a fEARful you have to understand what you are working with. The beauty of it all is that you can us tone shaping gear very effectively with these cabs.

19. Thanks for all your opinions and rig contributions. I plan on going into:

ART Prochannel II

Crown XLS1500

Peavey Headliner/Hartke 410 cab

20. I dig the ART, it has an incredible bag of well implemented tricks for the price point.