Opinions on Spector bass ...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Black 'n Tan, Feb 18, 2005.

1. I found a really clean Spector Euro 5LX neck-thru 35" bass in a local shop.

I don't have a trained ear for basses so I'm looking for y'alls opinion on these things. Good? Bad? Great?

Tone possibilities? One-dimensional? Versatile?

Growl? Mellow?
  2. Timbo

Jun 14, 2004
    Many tonal possibilites..
  3. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    A search will reaveal tons of info on spectors
  4. 5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    There is as said, much info on Spectors, but yes, teh vast majority of spectors that come out of the factory are excellent basses. I have always adored them. My euro 5 has served em very well for the last couple years. What are they asking? I would not pay more than $1300 new in a local shop for one. The used value drop quite a bit, and the neck-through 5's typically go for $750-$900 used.
  5. cetera

Apr 29, 2004
    Surrey, England
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses & Cort Basses
    Versatile, full sounding, punchy and strong. :bassist:

If it is a good price...go for it! :hyper:
  6. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I'm the proud owner of a beautiful red stain US NS-4. IMO, while Spectors are versatile, there's still a certain uniqueness to their tone. Most are made out of solid maple with a rosewood or pau ferro fretboard and have a sharp upper-mid bite that will cut through like nobody's business. But, it's not a tone that everybody appreciates.

Personally, I love the tone, but it's definitely not for all applications. If you like this sort of thing, go for it!
  7. Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    My experience with Spectors is somewhat limited, but the few I've tried in stores were terrific. The offset rear strap button lets the bass balance nicely and the neck hangs more vertically. Because of this, I didn't mind the somewhat chunky neck as much as I normally do. I generally prefer a thin flat neck profile.

Tone: The EMGs and active electronics let me dial in a wide variety of tones.

The only thing I don't really like about Spectors (and this goes for MANY basses with active electronics) is that you have to unscrew/open up the control cavity to change the battery. I much prefer a separate battery compartment on active basses, or better yet, one of those flip-up battery boxes like Carvin uses. (Though buying one of those battery compartments and having a skilled repairman/luthier install it is easy enough.)