Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Opinions on Spector Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BNM, Mar 1, 2006.

1. BNM

BNM

Feb 4, 2006
    Queens, New York
    I've searched these forums, and there really isn't any discussion on Spector basses(maybe because nobody cares to discuss them, but we'll see).

I learned on a Spector Performer 4, their cheapest, and after playing that for a few years, I decided I wanted a nice Spector, so I bought a Euro 5. I want to know what opinions are floating around here regarding these basses.

2. BSR6P-Bob

BSR6P-Bob

Apr 5, 2005
    Typing "Spector" under search in this forum brings up 500 threads.

Happy reading!

3. GSRLessard14

GSRLessard14 All-Things-Claypool Enthusiast

Jun 23, 2005
    Newington, CT
    I've played a few in store, never really was that impressed. Solid basses I suppose, but better instruments will always earn my money.

4. BNM

BNM

Feb 4, 2006
    Queens, New York
    Yes, 500 threads where people mention the word Spector. I closer evaluation will uncover the fact that there are very few (or no) topics actually about Spector basses.

5. didier

didier

Aug 4, 2005
    NC
    when you search try it with a limit to spector in the title only, You'll get more relevant discussions that way and you'll skip all the threads where it's just someone with a spector in their sig posting.

My opinion that I will float is that I really like Spector basses. I have played several, and owned three, and been very pleased with them all. I have a 5 that I like the least of them, but I think that's mainly because I am just not a big fan of any 5 strings.

6. BSR6P-Bob

BSR6P-Bob

Apr 5, 2005
    Sorry to differ, but I found quite a few. Enough to make my mind up on a recent purchase. You may want to further qualify your search or just keep digging further back.

Having said that, I'm very happy with mine and quite frankly have never played a bad one.
    Mine is a 1994 USA NS4 purchased used right here on TB.

7. Spector_Ray

Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Texas
    Look at my name and you'll get my answer, but more to the point. Probably one of the best basses one can buy for the money. Since you have a Euro 5, why not let everyone else know what you impressions of your bass are. I believe you made a wise choice.

8. idoru

idoru

Dec 18, 2005
    Brisbane, Australia
    My previous main bass was an SSD NS-4, dating to around '93 or so & made in Korea by Spector's best guess. Pawnshop discovery :)

Neck through, dual soapbars. Very warm bass with a very playable neck - although it feels like a toothpick now I have my Thumb 4 Bolt-on.

Downside: Spector's bridge saddles restrict you to using exposed core strings - in this case, I think the alloy used for the bridge was a little soft, as the strings chewed them up like nobody's business. Third time I broke a new string I gave up and filed them out to take normal round-wounds. No problems after that!

9. I've got a euro 5 lx. Awesome tone, fantastic quality. It was poorly set up and the board had dried out but i blame the retailer (sound control in the uk) for this.

I've swapped the bridge pickup for an EMG j soapbar to increase versatility.

I love the bass, but with little hands, I find the neck a real handfull - not sure if this is cos the 35" scale length

10. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    I have one of each flavor of Spector and I love them all. What specific info are you looking for?

11. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    A natural finish USA NS5 they had at Gelb Music years ago was one of the very best basses I have ever had my hands on. Pricey, but very very, very very good. The low number of them on the used market is testimony to their quality.

All of the Euros I have tried have had lousy strings installed, so I wasn't able to evaluate them properly. They did not appear to be on par with the USAs, but thats what you'd expect ... they sure cost a lot less!

12. BNM

BNM

Feb 4, 2006
    Queens, New York
    Alright well I'm sorry if this topic is a bit unnecessary, but nonetheless, I like my Spector, but it needs to be set up by somebody other than me. I think the truss rod needs to be tightened, and the intonation is a little off too. I think after it's set up better I'll love it.

13. Spector_Ray

Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Texas
    I have no doubt you will. They're probably the most comfortable basses to play. Congrats!

14. BNM

BNM

Feb 4, 2006
    Queens, New York
    Spector Ray, I was looking at your profile and I saw that some gear was stolen from you a while back. What'd you lose? I don't know what I'd do if someone stole my bass..

15. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    If you are going from a low/medium end to a higher end bass like the Spector Euro, I think you will be very happy. 18volt basses cut through the mix in a glorious way.

16. DGbass70

DGbass70

Jun 1, 2005
    Rochester N.Y.
    hi i'm a proud owner of 4 Spectors(including an EURO5)

you won't be disappointed.........
    get a set up new strings and that's all you need

17. NOLA Bass

NOLA Bass Mr. Worst Case Scenario Man Gold Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2005
    New Orleans LA
    I've got a 98 Euro, an 83 US, and a new exotic top Euro LX on the way. Honestly, I love Spectors because of the killer tone and very comfortable body shape. Also, I think the Euro basses are one of the best values out there. I've played basses that cost significantly more that didn't come close IMO. Enjoy your new Euro, I'm sure it will serve you well.

18. Spector basses are my favorite. I have a 2002 Q4 Pro which is the NS-2000 design. I have a Euro 5 LX on order.

So, why Spector? I just love how they play and sound.

Paul Mac

19. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    I agree.

IMO the NS body design is the most comfortable and balanced body style I've tried to date. My Spector is a "mid-priced" Czech-made model and it rivals a lot of basses that cost a lot more. They're solidly built, sound great, look great, and have the finest customer service out there. I think you made a wise choice too.