Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Opinions on Spector

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dave, Apr 24, 2005.

1. Whats everyones opinion on the Spector NS-JH5? Looking for a midrange 5 string bass for use in church worship services and a 3 piece band (think sort of like Dave Matthews Band sound, we do a few of their covers). Right now i have a Spector Rebop 4 and I like it, but I want to add a 5er, and Ive grown quite fond of Spectors over the years.

Does anyone own this bass, and if so, is it possible to get some sound clips or just opinions on how you think itd do for this style of music.

Thanks much.

2. pleeeeeease

3. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    Its a good bass, nice presence.

4. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    I've got my JH5-EX Bolt-on with the Spalted maple top and it is SOOOOO smooth it's sick. I got the EMG BTC system instead of the TONE PUMP for various reason. The neck is nice and fast. I love the Hipshot bridge that comes on it, it's a lot lighter than the brass bridges that come on the Euros. I own, have owned every Spector model there is and this is my favorite so far. A LOT LIGHTER overall than the neckthru's and the sustain isn't that much different than the thru's. I'll lay something down and post it so you can hear samples.

5. Awesome. Thank you very much. If you dont mind, whatd you pay for it (used or new too). Im lookin at the kinda brownish one at the top of the USA bolt on page at basscentral.com This one

How can it possibly be any lighter than the Euros? My rebop is probly one of the lightest basses Ive picked up. Thatd be awesome. As long as nothing else is affected (sound mainly), lighter is better.

6. adam on bass

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    I bought mine special order. I picked the top and the preamp swap. With case I got it for just under $2000.

7. adam on bass

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Here is a picture of mine:

8. Oh my, that is georgeous. That not a bad price, though it is a high price when you only have a part time job. Id probly stick with the standard pre and no expensive top, so maybe itll be a little cheaper.

Is that a rebop partially on the left pic?

Thanks for your help BTW.

9. adam on bass

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Nope it's my US NS2J with an Ash body.

10. Oh yeah, duh. It has J pickups heheh, nevermind.

11. bump

12. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Can't say about that model, but I do love mine :). Always on the lookout for more, too.

Ray

13. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    It is my uh... completely, *ahem* unbiased opinion that USA Bolt-on Spectors are amazing. :D

I've had my NS-JH5 (pics here) for about 2 months, and it seems to be the best match for what I look for in a bass. I can honestly say that I have no real desire to buy any other basses right now (except maybe a Sadowsky, but that would be sometime in the distant future. ;) )

Here are a few very short recordings I made a while back. Nothing serious, just me fooling around.

http://www.witestlab.com/lockout/bass/clips/manifestdestiny.mp3

http://www.witestlab.com/lockout/bass/clips/mellowmyman.mp3

http://www.witestlab.com/lockout/bass/clips/sowhat.mp3

http://www.witestlab.com/lockout/bass/clips/crush.mp3

http://www.witestlab.com/lockout/bass/clips/dontdrinkthewater.mp3

No comments on my crappy playing. :p

14. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Can't help you with that specific model, have never personally tried a US made Spector :oops:

However, I have currently:-

NS5CR - Czech built neck thru
    REX2000/5 - Korean Built Neck Thru copy of the Rex Brown Sig bass

Coming soon
    REX2000/4 - as above but 4 string

Have in the past had

2 more NS5CR basses and an NS4CR bass.

I adore Spector basses and think everyone should have 2 or 3 of them in their bass collection ;) :cool:

15. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    Got 2, working on the 3rd! :bassist:

16. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    I've yet to play a spector I didn't like. My next purchase bass-wise will be a Spector, probably the Spectorcore Fretless 5.

17. adam on bass

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    I'll give you some clips in about an hour. Different Pickups and Styles.

Lockout - Nothing wrong with your playing. :bassist:

18. I have a fretless Rebop 5. Love the tone(EMGs & Aggie OBP-1); don't love the spacing- I prefer 3/4" at the bridge. If this bass were wider, shorter & had 1 more string, I might not ever look at another fretless. :rolleyes: (Yeah, right!)

19. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    If you ever look to unload this, let me be #1 on the list ;).

Ray

20. I actually have the 4 string Rebop, which for having only paid 500 new for it, it rocks. Plays wonderfully, nice sound, about all you can expect from a bass for the prics. I may look into the Czech basses, as I just found out itll be at lest 1900 for a USA spector, so I may be backin down to Euro. GOtta run real quick, but can anyone name spector 5s that do not have a painted neck?

Thanks alot.