1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Opinions on strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Bilby, Mar 14, 2013.

1. Bilby

Bilby

Dec 16, 2012
    what do you guys think about D'addarios?
    should I get the twin pack of 4 nickel bass strings for $25? or their one pack of Stainless steel strings for $17? which is more durable Steel or Nickel
    Opinions of EXPERIENCED PLAYERS only

2. Gorn

Gorn Supporting Member

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    D'Addario nickels are probably the most popular bass strings. I don't know about durability, but steels are brighter than nickels. Each have their own unique sound. Buy both and see what you like. Also, if you google "talkbass daddario", you'll get a whole lot of information to go through.

3. hampulator

hampulator

Feb 10, 2012
    I think they're like the Jack O' all trades strings...and a good deal and sound descent too. I think you'd be overall happier with the nickle,the steel are good for slapping(usually brighter sounding),but can eat up your frets and are usually real sticky/dry to the feel...You can't slide real good with 'em ,and would prob die out quicker too? Remember- Just my opinion here.

4. I'm using the XLs right now and have had no problems with them.

5. I am a devotee of SS strings, been using Pro Steels for the past year and very happy with them. True what others have said though...SS will be brighter and rougher feeling to your fingers than Nickels. Basically comes down to tone. SS will be growlier/ dirtier sounding whereas Nickels will be warmer. Either way,you can't go wrong.

On a side note: I work right down the road from the D'Addario factory. Very cool to pass it each day knowing that is where my strings were made.

6. mmbongo

mmbongo Dilly Dilly! Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Hard to go wrong with D'Addario.

Nickel = warmer sound, smoother feeling.
    Steel = brighter sound, rougher feeling.

7. Bilby

Bilby

Dec 16, 2012
    SS? not sure what that is are you talking about steel?

8. bumperbass

bumperbass Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2012
    S tainless S teel

9. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Not S olid S tate?

:D

But seriously, the descriptions are right on of each type of string. Personally, I stick with nickels, but I have used Pro Steels and they're quite good, too.

10. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    Experienced player says the only person who can decide what strings you're gonna like, is you.

There are tons of variables that go into what makes someone think a string is great. Some off the top of my head: body chemistry, playing style, technique, pick or fingers, type of bass, pickups, electronics, how much you sweat, amp, amp settings, how you eq your bass, how you eq your amp, how often you play, under what conditions you play, the sound you're after, the band you play with, the feel of strings you like, the tension... I could go on and on.

Some people break strings every other week, I've broken one string in my life. And I play hard. And it was only cuz I boiled it in vinegar water for 20 minutes. Some people love DRs. Some hate em. Others DaDarrios. Some wouldn't switch from Rotosounds if you paid them. Check out everything and decide what works best for you.