Opinions on SVT-3 Pro?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Black 'n Tan, Mar 31, 2005.

1. A guy at work might sell me one of these for a pretty low price. What are your opinions on this amp? Tone? Versatility? Power?
  2. Ralphdaddy

Ralphdaddy Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    The most common and glaring complaint is that it lacks power and isn't very loud. But most people say it has nice tone. How much volume do you really need?
  3. xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    yeah dude, i like mine. underpowered? yeah. i find i can be heard at larger shows that dont have a pa, but the sound kinda goes caput when its really loud.

the sound though is awesome.

i got mine pretty cheap too.
  4. bigbeefdog

bigbeefdog Who let the dogs in?

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    Tone and versatility are EXCEPTIONAL. The power issue, well, that's been discussed here often.

Don't forget the effect of the cab. My 3Pro rig has plenty of headroom, because I use it with a *very* efficient 4-ohm Schroeder. With a different cab (8-ohm and/or less sensitive), it can come up short.
  5. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Basicly what everybody else said, nice tone, but I have issues wit it's power rating. I got a great deal on mine too :D
  6. I own one, and love the tone. Very 'Peg :) As for the power, I've not had an issue w/ it being too quiet, but I play in a blues band that doesn't have volume wars. I DO have to have the master at approx 3/4 when playing shows (with pre-gain clip LED lighting sporadically)... The cab issue mentioned above is important - I'm using mine with an Ampeg SVT-410HLF cab that is really not very efficient (98db). I could likely back off a bit on the vol if my cab were more efficient.
  7. TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Yeah its gonna depend on your style of music really. For anything loud (especially at a big place) your definately gonna need some efficient speaker support. For anything with moderate volumes at medium size rooms, you could pull it off with the 3pro though.

But Rock, Hard Rock, Hardcore, Punk, or Metal..... I wouldnt recommend it unless you've got mucho speaker surface or a really nice cab (i.e. Schroeder).
  8. How expensive are those 4 ohm Schroeder cabinets? How heavy?
  9. CaptainWally

CaptainWally Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    Having owned an svt3-pro, I think it crapski for the following reasons:

- Heavy @ 26 lbs
    - Have to wait an annoying long time for it to warm up
    - Underpowered (hello? 450W, are you in there?)
    - Dinky buttons on console, e.g. mute
    - Sounds really dirty @ 4 ohms. Totally different from 8 ohms.

On the other hand, good points:

- Reliable
    - Built like a tank
    - Has aspects of signature Ampeg tone, although I like most of their other stuff better, e.g. the venerable ss b2
    - Has a 5 year transferable warranty

If you can score it for < $500, it might be worth the asking price.
  10. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    +1. I use my III-Pro into a 4 ohm, 850 watt Schroeder 1210 and I can turn it up about 70% and it still runs all night for 3+ hour sets. Now it only runs a little above the RMS of the cab, but for how efficient the cab is, you'd never know.

I can't wait until I get my PLX 3002 and a new pre so I can really make these babies move! :D

I'd pick one up for $600 or less. No doubt.
  11. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Mine was $650 shipped for a 1210. Under 50lbs.
  12. I pretty much agree with what's been said before. At 8 ohms, mine sounded best with a JBL loaded 1 X 15" cabinet. The JBL's are pretty efficient speakers. It didn't sound as good with an Ampeg SVT410HE or a Hartke 410TP. I might add that I like the sound of my B2 4 X 8" combo better than the 3Pro with any configuration I tried (4 tens, 2 4 tens, 4 tens + 15", 4 tens +18" and 1 X 15").
  13. Wow. I absolutely hate the way my III sounds running at 8 ohms. But put that other cabinet and it's awesome. I don't have the volume issues others seem to have, either. I run it through an Avatar 2x10 and 2x12.
  14. +1 on the 8 ohm issue.

I used it for two years with one 8 ohm 4x10 cabinet and last week I got a 2nd 4x10 8 ohm cabinet. The amp sounds ten times better now.

Also: don't use the -15dB pad since this little switch drains out a lot of power. Of course this makes the amp overdriven much quicker, but hey it's an Ampeg huh! I don't recommend this amp for extra clean sound. I use it in my stonerrock band and it rocks in that kinda musical context.
  15. Heckxx

Nov 2, 2004
    Libertyville, IL
    lil side trac..about this underpowering i constantly hear about the SVT-3..

i currently have a GK 400RB-III and its rated at only 240 watts @ 4 ohms, and thats plenty loud for me, i have two 8 ohm cabs and i usually have my master volume at 11:00, nothing clipping, plently loud enough for what i play; which is generally loud ass rock music, but i always have PA support. ive definitely been considering the SVT-III to be my next head, you all think it would be at least as powerful as my GK? I was thinking even that ampeg 100 watt tube head (vb4h, sp?)might be loud enough for my purposes..
  16. xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    heavy at 26 lbs?

my brain just exploded.
  17. holy crap, you mean the SVT-3 ain't a tube amp????
    man do I feel stupid ....
  18. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    I might have mine for sale sometime soon if anyone's interested... Just a heads up!
  19. Heckxx

Nov 2, 2004
    Libertyville, IL
    nah man, the svt 3 has a tube preamp section. the power section aint tube tho, unlike the vb4h and svt-cl which are 100% tube
  20. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    NOT QUITE.................

The SVT-3PRo has tube preamp AND two driver tubes in the power amp also. The power output devices are MosFet, but they have no "gain", they are "followers".

That is the meaning of "tube-driven mosfet".....the two power amp tubes directly drive the mosfets and supply all the gain, no SS devices are involved in gain stages at all.