Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Opinions on the Dean basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RagingPenguin, Jul 3, 2005.

1. RagingPenguin

RagingPenguin

Jul 3, 2005
    First, I live in backwoods NC so there isn't a lot of name brand stuff out here...anyway, there's some Dean basses at my local hang out that play very nicely but I don't anything about them really. I was considering getting one. It's a four stringer and shaped somewhat like the old Spectres. Does anybody have any experience with this brand/model?

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
  3. RagingPenguin

RagingPenguin

Jul 3, 2005
    Edge. They had both fretted and fretless available. And thanks. 1-5 I think...

4. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    The edge is a good bass for the money, definitely. Which other ones did they have?

5. RagingPenguin

RagingPenguin

Jul 3, 2005
    That's it. I mean they had other brands..Washburn, etc... The whole "bass wall" was only about 5 feet wide... I told you, I come form the sticks. :D

6. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Ah i gotcha. How much were they charging?

7. RagingPenguin

RagingPenguin

Jul 3, 2005
    450? I don't recall exactly. How are they for longevity? Finish, neck bow, etc...

8. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    450 is pretty steep. Im guessing since its a small shop and you are in the sticks they charge highly. In my experience with dean they hold up pretty well.

9. RagingPenguin

RagingPenguin

Jul 3, 2005
    I thought as much. :( I guess I *could*shudder* order from MF.com, but ... you know how that goes. Thanks for the info. I'll see if I can get ride in Winston Salem or Greensboro one of these days.

10. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Have you dealt with ebay at all? You can get an edge on there for half the price.

11. RagingPenguin

RagingPenguin

Jul 3, 2005
    Man....I wish I could, but alas, I have no credit card or any other means of electronic payment. I think I'd be a little hesitant to buy online anyway, not knowing 100% what you're getting. Even "hock" shops make me ill. I only buy new, off the shelf. But thanks for the suggestion all the same.

12. RagingPenguin

RagingPenguin

Jul 3, 2005
  13. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    gotcha

14. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I paid about $400 for my Edge from a local shop in 1999. I was extremely happy with it for many years. The neck is stable, but does require more frequent tweaks than most other basses I've owned. My Edge looked great, sounded great, played great. The only reason I got rid of it was because I wanted another string. Support your local shop, $450 is a fair price for a nice bass like that. Sure, you could get it cheaper through the mail or ebay. However, it's nice when dealing with a somewhat inexpensive bass to be able to play it and get a feel for it first.

15. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I'm not sure why the "shudder". The good thing about using
    Musicians Friend, Bass Central, Bass Northwest etc etc, is
    that you get a better price, and if you don't like the bass,
    you can send it back. Plus, you can usually avoid state tax.
    I'd think you would be happy to have so many more options
    at a lower price than you would have to pay locally.

16. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    I had an Edge 4, but later sold it. It played great, but lacked the ability to cut/growl to my liking. Great value on all their current stuff, tho.

17. RagingPenguin

RagingPenguin

Jul 3, 2005
    Thanks guys. For now, my warlock NTB does what I want, but I liked the Edge 1 because of it's sound when slapped. The warlock still has that rumble I like for my typical style. I'm in that time of life (36 years old) that I'm starting to loose my love for 80's heavy metal and my style is beginning to change.