1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Opinions on the Fender b300 vs Ampeg svt

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by racket, Apr 25, 2010.

1. racket

racket

Jul 26, 2005
    Riverside, Ca
    FMIC Employee
    Opinions on the Fender b300 vs Ampeg svt. I have an SVT, I was thinking about getting a Fender B300, would the Fender B300 pro be good for blues?.

Thanks...R

2. waleross

waleross

Nov 27, 2009
    South Florida
    I have the svt cl and this Fender B 300 Pro. The main difference is that the Fender is convection cooled (no fan) and the CL has a fan . the Fender is built like a tank and heavy like one. OK all that aside the Fender is great for blues( the bass boost works great ) as does the EQ . I am running it through the Fender 810Pro cab and it'll match up great with Ampeg cabs . Fender quality for these amps is there,not talked about that much on this forum but do your homework and decide. :cool:

3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    if ampeg didn't exist i could be talked into a b300. you can play any kind of music on any amp, but i think the b300 would be great for blues.

4. The 300PRO does blues really well. It can remain clean and smooth at high volume using channel 1 and you can add a bit of dirt to your taste by blending in some channel 2.

With an SVT and a 300PRO in your arsenal you will have access to a wealth of great tones. These are my two personal favorite amps.

5. jastacey

jastacey Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2009
    Houston,Tx
    I've got a Bassman 300 ... it's a clean sounding amp and it will get very loud before power tube clipping/distorting ...has a wide range of EQ .... just as heavy as an SVT ... has the ability to get dirty when needed ... the amp responds well to tube rolling ...easy to bias the power tubes ...has 2-4-8 ohm taps for a wide range of speakers combination's, the down side to this amp is the learning curve for finding your sound ...all in all this is a good amp for the thick heavy blues sound ... oh ... I might add ...get a head case, so you don't snap off control knobs/sliders ... sounds good through an SVT 8x10, 2x15 or the Berg NV series of cabinets ... IMHO ....

6. D.M.N.

D.M.N. (O)))) Supporting Member

Oct 6, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    Yeah, my vote goes to the Bassman. I run it through a single 15 for now, but it's plenty loud. It has the ability to have such a massive clean low end, it's ridiculous. The graphic EQ can be a bit much, and I could do with just a Mid Knob, but it's still cool. The second channel isn't so much an overdrive channel as a fuzz box channel. It sounds fine for that type of stuff, just don't go into it thinking it will be some kind of natural overdrive. Actually pretty similar to my Fuzz Face. Also, don't expect to be using this with a small acoustic band or anything of the sort, it's just too loud. I mean, on 4 on the channel volume and 3 on the master it's shaking stuff around. But if you love blues and rock, and want a nice powerful clean sound, the Bassman is perfect.

7. epic!

epic!

Jan 16, 2010
    i dont mean to hijack this thread, but im thinking of buying a used bassman 300. however i have a friend who swears they are a huge waste of money because they break down often. this is coming from an avid collector of fine amps and i listen to his advice. can anyone provide some insight? are they constantly in need of work? thanks

8. jastacey

Feb 8, 2009
    Houston,Tx
    I've had mine for almost a year ...no problems yet ..... hopefully it wasn't built on a Friday or Monday ...just about every mass produced product has the potential for issues ... just look at Toyota ...... the perfect amp would have a 100% in free updates for the life of the product and when it is a defective unit they would give you a replacement without any hesitation ... I know of no amp manufacture that gives that kind of warranty ... in fact they distance them self's as to continuing improvements to existing product lines .. what they do is they introduce new products ...But there are amp manufactures that do have very good customer service and do service their products and will go the extra mile to keep a customer ... the standard Fender Amp Warranty is a 5 year TRANSFERABLE warranty .... does your friend own or has owned a Bassman 300 Pro Amp? or is he just stating his opinion based on ?

9. Korladis

Korladis Banned Supporting Member

Does it have the Fender tone stack or no? I've wondered that.

10. jastacey

Feb 8, 2009
    Houston,Tx
    Good question .... since this amp doesn't have a "Mid " knob ... I'm assuming the 2-10-2 doesn't apply ... I use the EQ sliders as the Mid tone control ... the bass & treble controls have a center dent and I'm assuming that is the flat setting

11. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    IME, an SVT and a Bassman 300 are two completely different animals. while IMO, they're both really good amps, personally, i prefer an SVT. the fender plays cleaner louder, but for me, it just doesn't have the fat mid-bass growl of an an SVT.

12. jastacey

Feb 8, 2009
    Houston,Tx
    I agree that they are two different amps ..... and that's the reason I like to collect different tube amps ... the spice of bass playing ......one really has to take your guitar and try as many amps as possible ...through the speaker cabinet of your liking .... the quest for tone ... me I like many different tones .... just as soon as you find one good tone another is just around the corner ... need a huge money tree !!!!!

13. Korladis

Korladis Banned Supporting Member

That's what I do on my D180, too. To me, having a cut-only mid knob is the same as not having one at all.

14. jastacey

Feb 8, 2009
    Houston,Tx
    I agree on that one ... I've gotten used to using the EQ as a mid tone control .... I generally set the bass & treble on there center dents and use the Eq sliders to get the sound I want .... I'm a firm believer in that the cabinet has a huge effect on one's tone

15. racket

racket

Jul 26, 2005
    Riverside, Ca
    FMIC Employee
    Thanks everyone..now I need to find one and spend some time checking it out.