1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Opinions on the Guild Thunderbass?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by AJHS-1stTrumpet, Sep 24, 2008.

1. AJHS-1stTrumpet

AJHS-1stTrumpet

Jan 5, 2007
    Hey, I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on one of these amps. I am looking for a small to medium tube amp that is cost effective, and this seems to fit the bill! I've searched this forum, google, and harmony central, and all I have found are reviews about its use as a guitar amp. I'm wondering if anyone here has bass experience with it? My main selling point is tone. I don't need to blow away any walls or ear drums, since I'm not currently in a band, and when I am I usually play in churches at low volumes.

Thanks alot!

-AJHS-1stTrumpet

2. Navybass

Navybass

Mar 12, 2005
    Norfolk, Va.
    I believe they were pretty much a copy of the Fender Bassman circuit-wise, and I think they were rated at 50 watts.

Just to let you know, Tube amps can be very expensive to maintain. Replacing tubes, getting it re-biased.

I'm not familiar with the tone of those amps though. One thing you might want to do is get a graphic eq pedal and use it with the amp, this way you can shape your tone even more. The reason I say that is because Those heads only had bass and treble controls in their tone circuit.

3. Loudthud

Loudthud

Dec 25, 2007
    Dallas Texas
  4. unlined4string

unlined4string Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Baltimore County, Md.
    I remember Jim Fielder from BS&T used one live in the early 70's. i liked his tone at the time, but I'm sure I was hearing mostly PA. Later around 1974 he was using a Fender Dual Showman live.