1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Opinions on the new fender am deluxe series

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mickebas, May 3, 2010.

1. I'm about to buy a 5 string jazz bass modell and is curious to know some opinions on the difference on the latest addition to the Fender bass series.
    I had decided on a Jazz american standard V but along came the new "improved" line of Am deluxe series and made it more complicated ;)
    My questions is regarding the "new"pu's and the "new" preamp.
    I have had instruments with Fender noiceless pu's and Fender preamp before and they where not to my liking, in fact I was quite happy to be able to say that that was something i would never have in a bass of mine again. Now I'm wondering if this 18v change is all there is or if something else has changed in the preamp system. Seems to be the same frequencies and specs except for the improved headroom that 18v would give compared to the old 9v system. And in what way are the pu's improved?
    Also I would be happy to know if anyone has an opinion on the new , more flattened radius of the fingerboard. Seem to me like Fender have been peaking at the Sadowsky concept more on this latest series and I'm not sure that's a good or a bad thing.
    I'm a traditional Fender guy and have tried Sadowskys, Lulls, Lakland etc but realized I'm a Fender person. Even though these were great instruments I felt more at home on the Fender and liked the passive electronics more.
    I know it's sounds a bit like I'm answering my own questions here, and I probably am, but I live in a foreign country and don't have a big opportunity to try out new basses, so it's good to know as much as possible before I decide. It's also very good with second opinions since I don't want to be rigid and I want to be openminded about the changes. There is probably good reasons why Fender made these changes and I'm curious to find out what they are.