Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Opinions on the Olp MM5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Secondhandloser, Jun 5, 2005.

1. Secondhandloser

Secondhandloser

Mar 28, 2005
    I'm looking at getting a cheap six string bass ( I know its really a baritone guitar but I would string it E-E) and Iwas wondering if I would be better of getting this or a cheap sixstring B-C... I really don't want to pay too much, as this is my first experience with a six string, and I will get a nicer one later if I decide that is the path for me.... so any thoughts on the OLP or other cheap sixstrings would be nice, as well as opinions on which to get...

2. thisSNsucks

thisSNsucks

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    call me crazy but doesnt the OLP MM5 only have 5 strings, not six.

3. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    The MM-3 is the SR5 copy. The MM-5 is the Sillouhette Bass copy.

The MM-5 is more of a baritone guitar, but it's argued either way. I prefer Ibanez six stringers but he Brices at rondomusic.com aren't bad either.

4. thisSNsucks

thisSNsucks

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    ah i stand corrected, i didnt even know there was a sillouhet OLP, pretty cool stuff

5. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    If you like shortscales, go for it. I'm seriously contemplating one soon. The only other (new) options are the Schecter Hellcat and the Jerry Jones or a custom build. Secondhand there's also the Fender Bass VI.

There are more 34" scale options such as the Ibanezes, but I have no experience of them.