1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

opinions on the orange ad200b?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by cameronbass2112, Aug 23, 2012.

1. cameronbass2112

cameronbass2112

Aug 23, 2012
    I'm looking into getting a new amp, I've been looking onto this orange head, what do you guys think about it?

2. You'll need to get a supporting membership to post this

3. cameronbass2112

cameronbass2112

Aug 23, 2012
    Alright thank you, sorry about that

4. ??? It's not a for sale ad.

5. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    The OP edited his post long before you posted this.

OP, I don't know where you're located, but--from what I've gathered, the Orange is a bit overpriced for what you get if you buy one new in the US; in the UK, it's supposed to be cheaper relative to the competition.

6. Myth_103

Myth_103 Supporting Member

I've owned the Orange AD200B and an Ampeg SVT-VR simultaneously.

Orange:

Much lighter weight (55lbs vs 88ish)
    Plenty loud (200 vs 300 watts)
    Much cooler looking (personal preference)

Ampeg:

Heavy
    Insanely loud (never been over 3 on volume on HUGE stages)
    Vintage look

The main deciding factor for me with all thins aside was sound, of course. The Orange volume works with both a master and a gain knob. I feel like to get a loud enough volume, the gain was coming through a little too much. Then again, a gritty, British rock sound is the trademark of this amp. I ended up picking the Ampeg even though I liked the Orange for its weight, styling, color, and uniqueness. But ultimately, I preferred the smoother sound of the Ampeg. I wanted to like the Orange better, but couldn't do it.

It's really a matter of taste. Both are incredible tube amps, and neither with disappoint!

The Orange is a solid tube amp that will last a lifetime if taken care of! If that's the tone you're going for, that's the perfect amp.

7. Tim1

Tim1

Sep 9, 2005
    New Zealand
    I have owned the Orange AD200B, SVT VR and the new Fender Bassman 100T simultaneously. I will not reveal my own preference at this point, they are all great heads, but my drummer and bassist both clearly and strongly preferred the Orange over the other two heads.
    It has a clear character of its own and fits wonderfully into the onstage mix. It is like having a pair of subs with punch behind you.

8. In the UK the Ad200b is much cheaper, and it has an easier warranty for us to use. I tried a few SVT CL's and just didn't 100% gel like I did with the AD200b which was love at first note and sight.

It's also lighter, and is British built. Not only that, the tube grit is absolutely stunning.

9. Tim1

Tim1

Sep 9, 2005
    New Zealand
    Yes, down here the Orange cost me almost half the price of my SVT VR. Local conditions obviously have a significant influence on which head is the "best buy".

10. AD200 is still made in the UK? Are you thinking GT200?

11. Mr. Foxen

Mr. Foxen Commercial User

Jul 24, 2009
    Bristol, UK
    Amp tinkerer at Ampstack
    AD200 has union jacks screenprinted on the boards, in China. The chassis might be bolted into the sleeve in the UK, maybe some push connectors put on, that's about it.

12. Plucky The Bassist

Plucky The Bassist ZOMG! I'm back from the dead! Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Never owned one, but I played one through an Orange OBC410 and was totally blown away. The tone on them is phenomenal, but the price is way too rich for my blood. If you have the $$ for one, it's a great sounding amp.

13. SactoBass

SactoBass I like all-tube amps! Supporting Member

Jul 8, 2009
    Sacramento CA
    I have owned an SVT-CL, and a USA-made SVT-VR, however I have never had the opportunity to plug into an Orange.

IMO, the VR sounded waaaaay better than the CL. No comparison in my book. IMO, the VR was the best sounding amp I have ever owned. The only reason I sold it was because it just got too heavy for me (I'm 56 years old and I'm not as strong as I used to be). But oh that tone!!!

Regarding the Orange, I have read a number of posts on TB stating that the Orange reaches saturation (tube distortion) earlier than the SVTs. But again, since I have never played through an Orange, I cannot offer comments based on personal experience.

14. Nope, I imagine virtually all parts from virtually all amps have Chinese parts though.

15. FREAKYSTLYEY

FREAKYSTLYEY Banned

Jan 14, 2007
    I owned one as much as I tried to love it, tone was blah..

16. SactoBass

SactoBass I like all-tube amps! Supporting Member

Jul 8, 2009
    Sacramento CA
    Same thing happened to me with a Mesa Buster 200 all-tube head. Boring sterile tone!

17. eyeballkid

eyeballkid Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2009
    wes virginny
    weird...I LOVE the tone.
    but.... I've found the amp really brings out the nature of each bass, unlike an ampeg that makes everything sound rather ampegish (that's not an insult). So, some basses I've thought sounded kinda blah, but some just sound gorgeous.

18. Mr. Foxen

Mr. Foxen Commercial User

Jul 24, 2009
    Bristol, UK
    Amp tinkerer at Ampstack
    The difference is where its built, and associated quality levels and oversight. With Matamp, if someone does some wiring shoddy, then Jeff is definitely going to swear at them a lot. Made in the PRC, its all push connectors and hot glue for quick and easy and cheap with no skills,no-ones going to look hard at it until its on the other side of the world.