Opinions on the SWR Workingman's 10

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by AMJBASS, Feb 25, 2002.

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    I am starting to get calls for small Jazz gigs all around my area. I have an Aguilar DB359 and an Aguilar GS210 cab, but I would like a good small combo to take to some of the smaller gigs I am being offered. I am interested in the Workingman's 10....any of you guys use it? I know that sound is a personal thing, but how do you rate it? I'm not concerned about the cost, but more about the size and weight. Thanks a lot!:)
  2. Got a friend who has got one.

WONDERFUL little thing.
  3. Steve S

Steve S

Jul 26, 2000
    Great little amp. Use it all the time for low level gigs.
  4. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    The Workingmans 10 is a good little amp and has very good sound. I had the extension cab as well, but with the extension cab connected to the combo I managed to fry an IC in the amp. I sent it back to SWR, they fixed it, and I sold it. It turns out that the extension cab puts a load on the amp such that if you push the amp, bye, bye. So I sold the WM10 and bought another WM10 extension cabinet and I use my Clarus head to power either one of them for small gigs or both of them and other cabinet configurations for larger gigs and I'm happy with the sound and I don't worry about my Clarus head frying from the load.
  5. shirojiro

Jan 24, 2001
    San Francisco
    I use a WM10 quite a bit, but I haven't had an issue regarding integrated circuits frying or anything like that. I run it with the extension cabinet and the volume at about 2 o'clock for hours on end. It's enough for practice, or quieter gigs, but it's certainly no rock 'n roll rig.

That said, I really like the sound, and I love the portability.

For jazz, small gigs, rehearsals, practice alone, or gigs with good PA (and disciplined drummer - let me know when you find one), it's great.

I also have a GK MB150S, and it's significantly louder than the WM10. The sound isn't quite as pleasing to my ear, though.

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    Thanks for your responses. I wasn't aware of any problems when using the extension cabinet. I'll have to look further into this when considering it. I have used the GK MB150S a few times, and I don't really like the sound. It sounds good with the Upright, but I don't like the sound with my other basses.

Have any of you had any problems with hiss from the WM10?
  7. It's funny. I own both amps. The WM10 and the DB359 (and 2 Bag End 2/10 cabs).

I used the SWR for a while before I switched over to the Aguilar and what I found was the the midrange of the WM10 had a tendancy to step on the guitars.

Because the DB359 has more bottom than Jennifer Lopez you can be much louder and not drown anybody out.

Just something to keep in mind.

8. White_Knight

Mar 19, 2000
    Check my review in the reviews section for my take on it. Yes, it does hiss (though as others will point out, once you start playing you can't really hear it in a band setting). I've never had problems in running the WM10 with an extension speaker either. Overall - good amp, but not enough low end for me in general. However, play it and see what you think.
  9. jchikhale

Feb 25, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    I've had a Workingman's 10 combo for about 3 years. it is the perfect size for small gigs. plus its tiny size allows it to hide away in my practice room and still sound great.

I have fried it as well with an extension cab- that is this combo's only fault. however i still rate it very high for its sound quality and convenient size. besides, if you wanted loudness, you wouldnt be looking for a tiny convenient combo.
  10. stingray96191

Jul 27, 2001
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Unofficially Endorsing Ernie Ball Music Man Guitars
    Same question but how a bout t he 15 model???
  11. Haven't tried the 15 but I'd imagine it'd sound a little better...I kinda like mine, 'cept for when I accidentally switch it to the Headphone only position on the back...ARGGG!!! but it works good for jazz...
  12. jchikhale

Feb 25, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    the workingmans 15 is amazing. that thing is one if the nicest combo amps i've played through. if you're into experimentation, rolands jc120's sound great for bass- very nice warm and clear tone.

its sort of a personal thing obviously, so try as many thing as you can before spending the money.
  13. gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I bought a WM 10 cab for soft volume gigs and practice. I run it with my regular heads: a GK 1001rb or an 800rb. it sounds great! It easily handles small lounges and bars with duos to quartets. I've really pushed it a few times, and managed not to blow the speaker.
  14. petch

petch Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Medina, Ohio
    I have both of the amps being discussed. The 10 works best with the 10t extension(which I own). As was said before, it does not have the deepest bass and is NOT a rock-n-roll rig. Nevertheless, it is a fine sounding little setup for the $.
    The WM 15 is a great combo. Clean, reasonably loud, nice features, well-made. It is not on a par with their pro line. (Why are people always surprised by this?) For small gigs and at practice it rocks.:D