1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Opinions on the white Crybaby bass wah

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by CHILDISHGAMBINO, May 6, 2006.

1. I've been thinking about getting one for a while now. What do you guys think of em? I'm also digging the Q-tron sound clips I've heard and both these pedals cost about the same from Steve's music but I'm kind of torn. Seems like I could get a little more weirdness with the Q-tron but the Crybaby might be more practical for what I'm doing right now.

2. Dash Rantic

Dash Rantic

Nov 12, 2005
    Palo Alto, CA
    I've got one, and I love it. Very practical for all styles of music, and it's switchless!

-Dash

3. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process...

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    I love me some Crybaby on bass...

it's one of the oldest pedals right now, and I don't see it going away ever. It's got such a great, solid sound to it...

4. The BurgerMeister

The BurgerMeister musician.

Apr 13, 2006
    Big Bear, CA
    it's a little more subtle than other wahs.... because it leaves your lows alone.
    it's not as extreme as i'd want a wah to be... but then again, i don't see myself ever using wah on a regular basis. if i did i might have more to offer here. thinking of selling the thing, actually... i've had it a little longer than the return policy... :scowl: :( :spit: :crying: :eyebrow:

5. Trevor.A

Trevor.A

Jan 2, 2005
    Lubbock, TX
    i just got mine a few days ago and i love it
    + add some overdrive/distortion in front of it, awesome

6. bassman314

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    +1 on this...

it sounds great clean, but wow doe sit wake up when you stick some grit in front...

I love the sound I get from both my Muff and my Hot Tubes..

7. Yeah I think I'm going to get one when my tax return arrives(soon I hope). There is another wah on Steve's that says it for bass but I don't see it on the Crybaby site. It's black, www.stevesmusic.com has anyone tried this. I've used guitar crybabys and they're fun but suck the lows out and I tried the Berhinger wah my friend has and I hated it. Do you think the black Crybaby bass wah is more of a traditional style wah effecting the whole frequency range or is it some sort of missprint on the site?

8. Dash Rantic

Dash Rantic

Nov 12, 2005
    Palo Alto, CA
    Gambino, do you mean the 535q Crybaby?

The 535q is black, but it's not a "bass" wah. As far as I know, there is no black colored crybaby bass wah--only the white version.

I'm not sure how the 535q would work on bass, but I think it should be fine--you'd probably want to try it out first though.

-Dash

9. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    My Dime CFH is a slightly "better" version of the 535q. It's got 6 different heel freqs, and you can set the toe freq in relation to that!

The heel freqs are (hi->lo): 440, 400, 375, 345, 295, 250

When I used it, I found that the 250 setting was perfect. The boost should be used to counter the volume loss. The unfortunate part is that the volume drop is cus of the bass loss, but using an EQ before or after, or just turning up the bass on the amp will correct that.

10. well...the ORIGINAL crybaby bass wah was black, but since then, theyve all been white...theres been 3 white versions to my knowledge, and i own all 3...the original white version i have is quite old and doesnt even spring all the way back up anymore, its got no resale hope lol...the 2nd version i have used for 5 years and have had NO problem with, its awesome...i jsut picked up 2 new ones w/ the trimpot for adjusting the delay shut off feature, which is quite usefull (i turned it off)...i like it a lot clean for funky parts, but its REALLY shnes when used w/ some overdrive/distortion...its a wonderful pedal IMO

11. HELLonWHEELS

HELLonWHEELS Supporting Member

Jun 13, 2005
    Houston
    i have a crybaby 105Q and well its sounds great with distortion exept there is one major problem... The lows drop out!! You can fix the problem by turning up the treble or playing with a pic. The other thing is that it doesn't have a every smooth tone it has a bit more growl than your aveage wah wah.

12. Crabby

Crabby

Dec 22, 2004
    Just got mine and its great, no tone suck at all. I love the sound. question for all you wah users:

Do you prefer to put overdrive/distortion before or after the wah in the signal chain?? I have the guitar going into the wah first and then into my fulltone bass drive. Running it the other way made the wah louder but it sounded strange to me.

sorry to hijack the thread. I do love this wah pedal though!.

13. bassman314

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    I used to run it that way... it was good,, but the wah kind of washed out in the mix..

I siwtched it up, and OD into the WAH is pure Growl...

14. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    +1, but only if you can get a very midrange heavy dist, IMO/E. Otherwise you loose the distortion as the wah approaches the heel, and in the case of a switchless, the dist will suddenly re-appear when it shuts off. I personally find that really annoying.

15. Crabby

Crabby

Dec 22, 2004
    cool thanks, I didn't like the distortion cutting back in when the wah shut off either. The way I have it now, the wah does kinda get lost depending on the way you're playing but it still sounds really good and doesn't mess up the sound of the overdrive. I will try it both ways again just to be sure but changing it around means moving all the pedals around again on the board! arrg

16. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I'm a Morley guy so you may choose to take my advice with a grain of salt.

I found this pedal to be rather thin sounding, good for funk, but I didn't see much of a use for it in a rock setting. That was my biggest caveat. I had the newest model with the trimpots and it was alright, though I'm not a fan of the switchless wah. If there were a way to remove the spring and add a switch, I feel the electronics in this would make for a much better wah.

17. simpy1

simpy1

Mar 31, 2005
    New Zealand
    Don't get the black crybaby bass wah. I had one (yes it was a bass wah) I forget the model # but it was terrible.

Sucked my lows and my highs, had no knobs to adjust range, and worst of all it had a big drop in volume. And it had a big clunky knob that needed a huge stomp to get it working.

Ol' whitey looks much better. I think someone finally told Dunlop that it sucked, so they made a decent one.

18. slip

slip

Apr 24, 2006
    I've used a lot of different wahs over the years. Dunlop, Morley, Colorsound, Budda, Vox...

Now I use the Dunlop 535q. Aside from the typical wah expression pedal you get 3 controls. the side control allows you to quickly step between 6 different frequency notches. And on the bottom you get a main frequency notch pot, and a variable +26db output boost pot. Plus it is a true bypass circuit.

The added control means you can dial in exactly which wah sound you want instead of being stuck with just one tone. I have found that the frequency range is more than ample for guitar or bass. It is well worth the extra $30 bucks or so compared to the other non-boutique wahs.

19. Noosh

Noosh

May 1, 2006
    North Carolina
    i dunno about about the crybaby wah but i have the morley dual bass wah.... and i would reccomend it for anyone... it has 2 wah settings, classic wah and funk wah, ive found IMO that the classic wah dosent do much when ran by itself but run some distortion or overdrive before the wah and it is awesome, then theres the funk wah, it sounds alot better clean than the classic, but its also kickass distorted too... i would suggest trying out the morley before you make your decision on the dunlop. like someone said before, the dunlop seems like it would be better for funk, but if ya want a wah for rock, get the morley....
    ~Noosh