Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Opinions on the WT-400

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by quallabone, Aug 13, 2003.

1. quallabone

quallabone

Aug 2, 2003
    Who has owned or tried this amp? Opinions are all welcome. I have a WT-800 and just bought a used WT-400 for a great deal less than what it was worth. It is 3 months old with only some rack scratches.

2. cjgallen

cjgallen

Oct 19, 2001
    I love my WT400. Sounds sweet. The EQ is great.

I bought mine used. It had some leaking capacitors that I had to replace, but other than that I've had no problems :D

It's kinda like the WT800, except it's mono and only puts out 400 watts :p

3. ZonPlyr

ZonPlyr

Apr 29, 2003
    Pasadena, CA
    I used my wt-400 for almost 3 years and never had a single problem with it. The eq is great and very responsive. A little goes a long way with this eq. The only reason I sold it is because i wanted to move to a pre/power set-up for some flexibility.

4. chardin

chardin

Sep 18, 2000
    The WT-400 is excellent. Light weight and killer tone. The EQ section can do a lot but my guess is that most people leave it pretty much flat. I put the magic enhance knob at 9:00 and go for it.

5. quallabone

quallabone

Aug 2, 2003
    I spent a couple of hours learning the EQ last night and found that it really does sound the best flat. I have the enhance knob at around 11 o clock. Very nice amp to complement the WT-800. It's sweet to have a practice rig with the 400 and an ampeg classic 410.

6. I don't have one of these, but I recall reading that you should disable the compressor ... pull out one of the knobs I believe.

7. quallabone

quallabone

Aug 2, 2003
    assuming that you don't like compression

8. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    I just got mine a few weeks ago... this thing is pretty great. It's got a great warm tone, and it seems every time you touch a knob, you get a notably different sound. Still working on finding 'my' sound, but I'm pretty confident I can find it somewhere with all these knobs. :D

9. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I just bought an Eden 410XLT. I wanted to buy the WT400, but I think I need to push more watts into the cab. It is rated at 700.

-Mike

10. cjgallen

cjgallen

Oct 19, 2001
    Yeah seriously. At a gig last night, I changed the Mid frequency knob a little bit and was like..."Whoa! That sounds GOOD!"

11. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I use it's smaller and now defunt brother, the WT-300. Tone for days. I use it as a preamp in gig situations and a regular head during practices.

I boost the bass a bit, crank the Enhance to full, and let fly. I love the tone...

12. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    The WT-400 will drive the D-410XLT just fine. I use a WT-300 on top of my 410XLT a lot, and it's got killer tone and moderately high volume. Plenty for most indoor gigs and some outdoors. You just won't get maximum volume out of it.

13. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Can't get maximum volume??? Huh??

I need maximum volume. I want maximum volume.

-Mike

14. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    If your 410XLT is a 4 ohm cab, the 400 will drive it just fine. Mine is an 8 ohm. When I got my cab in, cheezewiz brought over his WT-400 so I could check it out, and even only at 230 watts, it was fairly loud, and had a lot of bottom end, 400 watts should cover it fine, these are very efficient cabs! The Eden sound kills!

15. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Tim.....the 410XLT I have is 8ohm.

For the first time today, I played the cab. I was amazed at the low B I got out of it. It is freakin awesome.

Maybe I should save up some cash for the WT400 then. One good Eden deserves another, right?

-Mike

16. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    MJ, you will only get 230 watts out of the 400 with an 8 ohm cab. While I stand by my statement that is was indeed loud, and had good low end response, 230 watts is still not a lot of juice. If your cab was 4 ohm, and could get all 400 watts, I'd say go for it. I bought two 8 ohm cabs, not knowing that the higher end stereo eden cabs will not run a 4 ohm bridged load.

My solution? Look for a deal on an Eden Navigator preamp, and get a separate power amp to juice it. Has the great signature eden tone, and this setup allows you different speaker setup options, while still getting the full power out of your power section. Plus, they come with a kickass footswitch, that is ultra cool, and handy.

A used Navigator can be found in the $500 range, or contact TB member Gard, he works at "the cool video store", and can make some awesome deals on new stuff!

PS, I was limited on my budged, so I settled for used (but mint) pieces. For just under $750, I got the Navigator, and a single rackspace Stewart poweramp that kicks out 1000w bridged @ 4 ohms (and only 11 pounds!).....both pieces like new. I couldn't be happier with the setup, it rocks!

17. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Can't resist an opportunity to show off the rig, it's my pride and joy!

[​IMG]

18. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    Now you've gone and done it. This is my old rig. For the new one, just imagine the WT-300 matured to a WT-800.

By the way, Tim, no charge for the avatar.

[​IMG]

19. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Aww, that's cute Munji......it's like a shriveled, little baby version of my rig! :D

I kid.....uh oh, I think I hear Munji wheeling in the 410 now :eek:

:D

20. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    I can't get my whole rig under the ceiling.