1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Opinions on the Zon Legacy Elite wanted!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by The_Owl, Mar 6, 2008.

1. The title explains itself, well, almost.

I have a friend who is going to America in two weeks, and I'm looking into the possibilty of having him bring me back a new bass.

There is a nice Legacy Elite 5 for sale in the classifieds, which I would love to get my hands on. From earlier threads and discussions on TB, I've only heard great things about these basses.

I do own a Modulus. which I am VERY pleased with, but it's a sixer, and I'd like to have a 5-string too for less jazzy stuff. However, it's always a tough decision buying an instrument without trying it first, so I'd like people with experience with Legacys to chime in here.

What I'd like to know is basic tonal characteristics, growl/aggressiveness, B-string sound, ability to cut through a mix. The usual stuff, ya know. Perhaps compare it to similar brands for reference.

It'd also be nice with some clips (live, studio, youtube) to hear one in action. I've listened to some Manring stuff, which gives at least a bit of an idea of the sound.

2. Anyone?

Vic?

Papersen?

Marcus?

3. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    You might check out Todd Johnson. He doesn't play a Legacy but he does play a Zon which should be in the same ballpark. Todd has a section here on TB that will have links to some of his lessons.

Also, Damian Erskine is a fellow TB'er that exclusively plays Zon's also. Again not a Legacy but still within the ballpark. Damian has a CD on CDbaby.com. Just open http://cdbaby.com/found?allsearch=damian+erskine and check out Trios. There should be samples there. REALLY nice stuff from Damian too BTW.

4. Anyone else who's got some info?

5. Hey! We meet again.

As far as the Zon goes we have a love hate relationship. First off it plays beautifully and has an incredibly comfortable neck. I love the 34" scale and 17mm spacing.

As for the sound....the bass is very clean sounding and maybe that's where I have my issue. The Zon Bartolini pickups aren't typical Barts. They seem to have more shine and top end. They're a beotch to find replacements for as I'm finding!! The neck pickup has a hollow boomy sound without the dirty edges of a p-bass pickup which is both good and bad. The bridge pickup is awesome. Barky, punchy and deep.... sot as clangy as my Spector. Very nice and aggressive but refined at the same time. Mixed it's a very nice balance.

The bass doesn't have the midrange burp of my Cirrus Tigereye. It sounds more scooped and deeper. I'll try to figre out how to post my sound clips......like I've said I'd do months ago.