Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

opinions on these amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by nil, Aug 20, 2001.

1. I'm usually not one to grab opinions from space, but since I have no real experience with these, you guys can be my judge! :D

I'm looking to upgrade to something professional and sensible that I won't need to upgrade in a hurry. Price is a definite consideration but i'm open if the sound is there.

So far, i've been narrowing down the selection to:

ampeg svt (cl, vintage, anything i can find!)
    eden wt-300
    eden wt-400
    aguilar db359

I haven't knocked out Glockenlang, EBS, EA or others that I don't know of, so maybe there's an option there.

Currently i'm running an Ampeg V4, and I want to keep as much of that sound as possible, but I just need more headroom. The Eden's are looking the most tasty to me at the moment, given their size and voltage ability, but don't know really if they'd suffice in a loud environment (like, is the difference between the wt300 and the wt400 that much?).

2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Eden WT-400. I've heard they quit making the WT-300. I've never played an Aguilar, but they get great reviews around here. Also, you'd better try the EBS Fafner. I have played that, and it's the only thing that I've liked as much as my WT-300.

3. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    SVTs do little for me--big, expensive to maintain, and the tone is not to my taste.

I have a WT400 and love it.

Dunno about the Aguilar, but many folks here love them.

4. Output-wise, does the WT-400 kick the WT-300? I've seen a couple of used WT-300s for sale for around $500US which looks OK, but if the power ain't there...

Do Walter Woods amps provide enough headroom for electric playing, or are they more suited towards URB?