Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Opinions on these specs? (Nino, that means you)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dave Metts, Apr 5, 2001.

1. First, the specs

Fretted:
    DP Custom 5-string bass
    35" scale
    Hipshot Ultralite Tuners
    Gotoh Bridge (strings thru body)
    Ash body (Quilted Maple Top)
    Black Cherry Finish (like Spector CR)
    Solid Maple neck
    2 EMG CS pickups
    18v Aguilar OBP-1 preamp/EQ
    Ebony fingerboard
    Dunlop straplocks

Ok, now the miscellaneous information. Firstly, I'm looking into using this bass mainly for metal/hard rock, so ability to cut is a definite must. I also slap/pop a fair bit, so I am definitely looking for something that will be at the very least decent for that.

Yeah, you may have noticed that this is a bit of a Spector-a-like. However, I've heard nothing but good things from people about their sound (especially for metal/hard rock), so I've kind of modeled this bass after a high-end Spector.

What I'm mainly asking is, do you think this bass given its specs will be good for metal/hard rock and a little slap/pop? Please feel more than free to suggest some changes in any of the specs, but please tell me why you suggested them :) I'm not an expert on woods or electronics, but I figured this should be a good way to learn some things as well.

Thanks for your time!

2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Sounds very `lishis!

A couple of things you might consider, (that I am on a custom), since you play fast fingerstyle (hard rock/metal), and also need good, responsive action, (slap/pop that you also mentioned);

- For the metal/rock, adding a Willis Speed Ramp. My fingers are fairly long but I'll still take any advantage I can get.

- For the slap/pop, a tilt back headstock for string tension.

I know, it's easy to spend someone else's money. :rolleyes:

If you have technology, it would be great to see a pic posted of it when it happens.

3. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Sounds like it's gonna be a KILLER bass!!!! I'd go with the EMG 40 J's instead od the 40 CS's. The CS's are alittle warmer sounding (according to EMG cotalog). I have 40 J's w/an Aguilar OBP-1 Pre-Amp in a "Waromwsky" bass & the sounds RIPS!!!!!!!!!! I'd also suggest a maple fretboard for extra brightness & cutability (make up words as I go along).

Good luck w/it & I love to see pics when it's done.

4. Thanks for the help guys!

rickbass1: What exactly is this speed ramp you speak of? I don't think I've heard of it. I don't know how much it will matter since I will probably be playing most of the faster stuff with a pick (please don't kill me) for a little extra attack. In regards to the headstock, Dave Pushic's standard design calls for a 15-degree tilt-back headstock, so that is taken care of!

Nino-Brown: I'll definitely look into those 40 Js. Great...the last thing I need is to have 40 Js on there so I can have delusions of being Jason Newsted (now if I just had the money for that Sadowsky....) :) I've got a maple fretboard on my L-2500, and I love the way it looks with the Natural Ash body on the G&L, but I am worried that it won't look too good since the rest of the bass is kind of dark. I realize that aesthetics are second to playability, but when you build a custom you can have your cake and eat it too (provided you're willing to pay for your desires). I think the rosewood on your Spectors sounds pretty good, Nino (that is rosewood, right?). You would definitely suggest maple though? If so, I'll give it some serious thought.

Thanks once again

Quick Edit: Don't expect to see pics too soon, because I definitely won't have the money before Xmas :( I'm a college student after all. I will definitely post pics when (if) I get it. Maybe in the mean time I should post pics of my G&L or something, heh

5. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

It's a detachable piece of wood that Gary Willis came up with. It mounts under your strings that prevents you from digging in too much (as many hard rock/metal players tend to do), and gives you more dexterity and control.

To view- www.ibanez.com/willis_bass.html (Sorry, I don't know the html/whatever for dragging the pic into my post). They describe it briefly in the text that accompanies the picture.

As for where to get it, that's what I'm paying the luthier for.

BTW - I consider the pick a valid technique. It was a major, accepted technique when I was in the punk scene, and bands like the one I was in at the time were fighting the evils of disco (no live musicians). Don't let the close-minded get to you. I don't care if someone wants play with a soup spoon, I only care about what comes out of their speakers.

6. alright...I've done some thinking and research and here's what I've come up with.

As of right now, I'll probably stick with the ebony fretboard so I can get a little growl (don't want it to be TOO bright).

Now a question: The EMG site says that the 40J pickups have "less low end but an expanded midrange." If I go with 2 EMG 40Js, does this mean that I will be lacking in low end? If so, what can do I do balance a good strong low-end with cutting ability? I will probably stick with EMG pickups for this project (unless somebody out there's got a better idea).

Anybody, feel free to run your ideas by me on these specs as it will be a while before I give the go-ahead to build (no cash and I want to be CERTAIN the specs are perfect).

Thanks again