Opinions on these three 5-strings

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bass Viking, Sep 11, 2004.

1. I'm interested in what you folks think of these 3 options for a 5 string bass and what your choice would be:

1) Warmoth Gecko
    2) Carvin BB75
    3) Dingwall Afterburner

I haven't tried the Gecko but I have 2 Warmoth basses that are great.

Never tried the BB75 but I own a Carvin 5 string kit bass. It's a good bass. Are the factory built ones even better?

I have tried an Afterburner and liked it. I'm concerned about the small frets wearing quickly and finding strings that will fit.

Thank for your input!
  2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

The Gecko, when assembled by a competent person, has the capability of being a very good bass.

The Carvin is also very good for the $$$. Some people don't like the sound of the stock electronics, some love the sound.

The Dingwall blows both of those basses away. If you are trying to choose between these three, the Dingwall is the clear winner.
  3. KeithPas

May 16, 2000
    The Gecko can be alot of different things depending on what type of pickups, eleectronics and woods are used to make it. I would agree that the Dingwall is the better of the three basses.
  4. Blademaster Dez

Blademaster Dez

May 12, 2004
    I think I saw a post a while back that DR has Hi-Beams with a 40" length, which is what you need to string a bass with the scale(s) of a Dingwall. So while string options are limited to Dingwall strings, the DR Hi-Beams and perhaps others I'm unaware of, there are strings available. Wouldn't Fodera have sets with 40"+ lengths since they make 36" scale basses for some of their clientele? I'll leave that to someone more knowledgable to answer.

I can't really tell you anything about the basses themselves since I've not tried them, but since you expressed concern about stringing a Dingwall, I thought I'd offer what little I read about that.
  5. Anti_Wish

May 14, 2004
    Boston, Ma
    Dingwalls are 37"-35"

40" is like a 3/4 upright bass.

but the dingwall is definately the better out of all the basses. and if you're worried about frets, then get them refretted
  6. andysvec

andysvec Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2004
    well, I've never played a Dingwall, but I'll throw in my two cents on the others.

I owned both a carvin and a warmoth parts bass before. I liked the carvin to a certain extent, but it just didn't have a solid feel, don't know how to describe it. But the warmoth felt great and sounded great, should've kept it. Plus it was fun to build, especially when it turned out so good and you can brag 'I built it' :)
  7. Blademaster Dez

Blademaster Dez

May 12, 2004
    I am aware of the Dingwall scale lengths. But you need a string longer than the scale length of the bass for proper restringing. You wouldn't restring a 34" scale bass with a 34" long string would you? There would be no slack to wind around the tuning post. Hence, a Dingwall with a 37" scale B would need a string longer than 37" for proper restringing. Ideally, 40" or more should give you enough slack, unless my math is really off.

Again, when I said 40" I was referring to the length of the string and not the scale length of the bass.

And it's not easy to get strings that fit basses longer than 35" scale. Hence, that's one of Bass Viking's concerns with the Dingwall. Thus I told him that outside of Dingwall, DR has long enough strings that can be used on a Dingwall.
  8. A 3/4 upright has a 42" scale.
  9. I've not played a part bass like a gecko, but givien that I have played a few Dingwall Afterburner basses I will say that its an all around great bass. Exceptional playability, tones, electronics, feel.
    Thats said i have used a few string types on my Afterburner and the B string would have to be approx 39-40" to wrap at least 1 time around the post. I have strung up the bass w/ Ken smiths, DRs, and D' addarios XL. so yes string length is a concern, but honestly the Dingwall strings are excellent.
    As to worryin about the fanned frets. DON"T. it takes less than 5 mins to get comfortable w/ them, and please don't consider refretting as the multiscale fretboard adds to playability, evenness of tone and punch.
    for the money its a exeptional bass and you get Mr dingwalls customer service which is very hard to beat
  10. Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.

And dont worry about the Banjo Frets wearing easily, they are as sturdy as normal sized frets and you likely wont have to replace them any more often unless you just dig in really really hard.
  11. RunngDog

RunngDog Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    I doubt a 39"-long B string would fit on a Dingwall. The scale on the B is 37", and there's 1/2"+ of string below the bridge and at least another inch between the nut and the tuner post -- which would leave a half-inch or less for wrapping around the post.