Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Opinions on this Aggie rig?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by xring, Feb 15, 2006.

1. xring

xring

Sep 16, 2003
    Ohio
    I'm about to pull the trigger on either the S810, or the S410 and S210 (combined). Do you think that the 2 cabs together will be close to the 810 as far as overall tone quality? The 810 does not have a tweeter, but I was wondering if it would project the midrange better? I've never heard any of these cabs. I'm concerned that the 2 cab scenerio might break up with a low B at high volume, the 210 being the weak link. Either rig will have pleny of clean power fed to them.
    Although I like alot of bite and higher end EQ'd into my sound, I'm not really a slapper, or tapper. I don't think I'd miss the tweeters, although I have them in my current set up.
    Thanks.

2. albass111

albass111 Supporting Member

Feb 13, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    I really like the GS412. In general, if you like the high end, I'd think that you'd miss your tweeters. Also, I think everyone will tell you that 410 + 210 vs. 810 are Totally different animals. In any case, I'd hope that you'd try them out before dropping all of that dough. For you low volume question, if you're playing a gig at low volume, you could possibly only bring the 410 and not both cabs. I haven't experienced a low B break up with the two cab scenario.

3. I've played an AG500 through the S410 by itself and also with the S210 stacked on top of the S410. These cabs emphasize the midrange and cut through really well. I experience the GS series as mid-scooped, but not these. They are not as loud as the GS series, but I prefer the tone to most of the GS cabs. (The GS112 is still my favorite Aggie cab, though.) I don't play with extremely loud bands and I have only played and heard this setup played by others in 200 to 250 seat venues. I don't know about the low B because I play a 4 string as do the others I have heard use this rig. I like the S series a lot and would consider owning them.

4. TrooperFarva

TrooperFarva

Nov 25, 2004
    New City, NY
    I played an AG500 through an S210/S410 stack last week, and it put out a lot of lows. I was tune to D, and the low end was really clear and tight, so I don't think they'd have a problem with a low B. But as someone else mentioned a 210/410 stack is a completely different animal than an 810. If it was me, I'd go for the 210/410.

5. xring

xring

Sep 16, 2003
    Ohio
    Another option I suppose , might be to just get the 410 now and look for a used gs112 later. That might round out the bottom better than all the 10's. I hate indecision.

6. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

I run a GS212 and S210 stack and LOVE it! Plenty of lows from the GS212 and lots of mids from the S210.

7. Poon

Poon

May 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    I'm going to go with the different opinion here...

I say go for the S810. They are dirt cheap on Musicians Friend right now. I rocked 2 GS410's for a while when I had high volume requirements and it was awesome, but if I had the chance to own a GS810, I would have in a second, and perhaps my dreams can come true with an S810 or DB810 (coming in april). However for now, I say if the price is right (which it is) get an S810. The weight of one S810 is a little more than a single GS410. From what I hear their midrange character is awesome on the S810. No Tweeter, who cares? If you're playing rock, most of our ears are trained to associate the rock tone with the tweeterless SVT810's. So I say go for it man. In my opinion you can't go wrong with having 8 10's to support ya. I've blown some 10's in the past using just 1 410. A 610 is a great choice for medium volume needs, but i can gurantee that those extra 2 speakers will help. A lot of people are modular people who like being able mix and match cabs. Me...If I tour I want to be able to make the least amount of trips in and out as possible. And those trips often time your standing position makes more of a difference than how heavy the cab is. AKA (Leaning down to push a 410 or carying a 410 is a lot harder than tilting back and pulling an 810 sometimes).

take my opinion with a grain of salt though...

8. xring

xring

Sep 16, 2003
    Ohio
    Excellent insight. Thanks.
    Anyone else?

9. rayzak

rayzak

Jan 13, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    I say, if you're 'fit' enough to move around the 810, and won't be moving it up and down many stairs.... then go with the 810(there's no such thing as overkill:D ). It never hurts to have headroom.

If this deal was going on about 2 months ago, i'd own the 810 right now, but decided to pay about $100 more(at the time) and went with the Berg NV425. But if I could've gotten the 810 for this price... i'd have gotten it in a heartbeat.

Shoot, I wish I had the means to buy one of each S series cabs at these prices.

10. rayzak

rayzak

Jan 13, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    Now, especially since looking at your profile...

you have a 210, 212, and a 410. Definetly go for the 810, keep one of your smaller cabs for your church gig, if you are indeed still playing at church.

From the sounds of your playing style, you won't miss the tweeter... trust me. All just what I would do.:bassist:

11. xring

xring

Sep 16, 2003
    Ohio
    Thanks for the replys. I changed it all up a couple of times, and decided on 2 of the 4ohm 410's. This should be the last rig I ever need and allows a cab to be left at a practice spot, and 1 at home. I was going for the 410, 210 combo but was a little concerned of the 210 when pushing a 5 loudly. Too much is just enough as they say.