Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Opinions on this body please............

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Johnny Fila, Jan 10, 2005.

1. Johnny Fila

Johnny Fila Formerly "The Crusader"

Nov 21, 2004
    Elmont, NY (near NYC)
    well? what do you think? a bit heavy though at 7lbs5oz

2. srxplayer

srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    Looks good to me. Jazz style body always look good.

What is it made of?

Looks like oak with a quilted maple top.

3. Johnny Fila

Nov 21, 2004
    Elmont, NY (near NYC)
    It's birdseye maple over swamp ash. I kinda dig it, but it's 475 for the body alone.

4. it looks sooo nice, i really like the color. go with black hardware and a maple neck *drools

5. Johnny Fila

Nov 21, 2004
    Elmont, NY (near NYC)
    hmmmmmm...i got maple necks coming in from USA custom with black MOP dots......black hardware would look pretty sweet...I was originally thinking gold, but now...hmmmmm....maybe I'm drooling too :p

6. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    +1!!!

7. Johnny Fila

Nov 21, 2004
    Elmont, NY (near NYC)
    Yeah? you think black also eh? hmmmm....(says to himself) "I do have the parts already"

8. niomosy

niomosy

Nov 9, 2002
    It's a Jazz body. Eh. I'm not much on them to be honest. The top looks nice, though.

9. do it up man!! i was originally thinking the gold at first as well but its to obvious and i think the black will look really really classy and not take away from the gorgous color of the body. if you do it make sure to post pics, and hey if you ever wanna sell her shoot me a pm

10. Wow, lemme offer this- if the body is 7.5 lbs you're looking at one massively heavy bass, at least if you go with a warmoth neck. I have a five string warmoth, the body was 4 lbs 3 oz and the final bass weighs around 10 lbs, so figure that body is gonna be close to 13-13.5 lbs.
    Ofcourse, USA custom makes a neck without those heavy steel bars and some light tuners will help, but it would still be a backbreaker for me personally, ymmv.

11. rubo

rubo

Aug 25, 2003
    No good, the wood grain must be straight lien or at least closer to a straight line aligned with the strings. This way it will produce more even and resonant tone, and not jump all over the place. Next is the weight, way too heavy. Try to keep it under 6 lb to get in the 10 lb area once it's assembled.

Cheers

12. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    I saw that body on the Warmoth site the other day... I liked the color and the figure, but there are a few things that turned me away from it:

1) Weight
    2) Those little black spots
    3) The black pinstripe that runs around the outer edge of the front (not sure if you noticed it or not)

You can see it in this picture:
    [​IMG]

13. bwbass

bwbass

May 6, 2002
    WA
    The pinstripe is our black accent line that's sandwiched between the top and back - we normally charge extra for this. Doesn't show up great in that picture, though.

And that'd be what we call hard ash - super-heavy but...
    [spinal tap voice]sustain for days![/spinal tap voice] :bassist:

14. Johnny Fila

Nov 21, 2004
    Elmont, NY (near NYC)
    I like the binding. the weight is iffy though. I'm just not sure. I won't be using a warmoth neck because they do weigh too much. I don't know...you know?

15. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    To me, it looks like a coffee table. I do not think I would like that as a bass guitar.

-Mike

16. Matt R Miller

Matt R Miller

Apr 27, 2003
    Wisconsin
    i was thinkin ebony board myself. rosewood if that's not available from warmoth/usa custom

17. Anti_Wish

Anti_Wish

May 14, 2004
    Boston, Ma
    i think gold hardware would look the greatest on there. just MO