1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

OPINIONS ON THIS GEAR PLEASE

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Zaney, Mar 8, 2010.

1. Zaney

Zaney

Aug 17, 2007
    Hampshire, UK
    Had so much advice that my head is spinning!
    Please comment on the set ups below. I want to make sure they are going to be sufficient as the heads are 4ohm and cabs 8ohm.

Hartke HA3500 with VX410 cab. Cost £638
    Hartke HA3500 with 410XL cab. Cost £668
    Hartke LH500 with Hydrive 410 cab. Cost £860

Galien Kruger BL600 with BLX 410 cab (8ohm). Cost £499
    Galien Kruger BL600 with GLX cab (8ohm). Cost £589

I want a rig for small to medium sized gigs; capacity of 50 - 150 people. We play Brit pop, light rock and UK chart music (no heavy rock, thrash metal etc). I don't want two cabs but do not want to have to shell out again for an upgrade because I'm not cutting through.
    Be gentle on me, I am female, blonde, already have decent earplugs and am new to bass gear.
    An opinion on each would be helpful.
    Thanks

2. whitespike

whitespike

Nov 28, 2007
    Austin, TX
    I used to own one of the HA3500 heads. I've always been a bit of a gear snob and bought it for backup, but was pretty surprised at how good it sounds...

I would try and locate a 4 ohm cab, though, just so you get the most watts for your buck...

3. Morning Beer

Morning Beer

Oct 2, 2009
    Cleveland
    Out of all those, if buying new, I would go w/ the LH500 and the hydrive. I really like that rig from the few times I've spent time with. Be prepared for a bunch of responses to buy used (not a bad idea at all,more bang for the buck) and a bunch of answers to get what sounds best to you.

You would be fine with any of those setups volume wise, in my experience your better off spending the money on a good cab and a cheaper head rather then a cheap cab and a better head.

4. Dave Vader

Dave Vader

May 18, 2009
    Devon Uk
    I'm running a GK BL600 through 2 15s and I get a decent amount of noise from it. I have run it through a GLX cab and it had more than enough punch to get through small UK pub gigs. The full 4 ohm output does help, but I rarely knock it up past 9 o'clock at gigs, it'll cut through just fine on an 8 ohm.

5. The Hartke 3500 sounds pretty "meh" to me, and I wouldn't touch the Backline heads with a 10-foot pole. The Hydrive and LH-series heads from Hartke seems pretty decent, though.

6. BluesWalker

BluesWalker Supporting Member

Jun 17, 2008
    San Diego
    My backline 210 crapped out after a few years. I now only play through Mark Bass heads/cabs.

7. The HA3500 is pretty good as is the LH500, try 'em both out if you can.

My advice would be to steer clear of the VX cabs, they is pants!

8. DERECOLA

DERECOLA

Aug 21, 2006
    PA
    any of that will work for you...

9. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    out of those rigs listed, i would go with the lh500/hydrive. it's clearly a much better cab than the others. the bl600 is a pretty good head but the backline cabs are kind of eh.

10. lazyone2

lazyone2

Jul 27, 2006
    new jersey shore
    The Hydrive cab is the best on your list. The Hartke amp will do fine also.

11. Dan55

Dan55

Apr 26, 2006
    Atlanta
    The LH500 for sure.

Dan

12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 30, 2020