Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

opinions on this rig?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by CaptainWally, Jun 22, 2001.

1. CaptainWally

CaptainWally Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    i have the following:

ampeg svt3 pro
    2 bag end 15's.

love it, but think maybe i'll add a 2x10. i had a great
    acme 2x10, but i don't have the power right now to
    drive such a little beast, so i need something efficient.

what would you guys think of:
    ampeg svt3 pro
    bag end 15
    ----- SWR goliath jr????------ (suggestions here?)

p.s. please feel free to omit such notes as
    "IHMO" and "YMMV" --- let's assume all of this
    is implied.

2. i know its not what you asked for, but i'm gonna go ahead and do it anyways. Eden d-2x10xlt, probly one of the best 2x10's out in the market imho. Its in the same price range as the SWR, and its double ported, i dont recall the goliath jr. being ported at all. Just test it out, you'll be glad you did.

I never played the Goliath JR. but i've played teh Goliath with an SVT-3 head, and i'll comment on that. It was a nice cab, had lows, but not the type of low's i'm able to get with my Eden (d-4x10xlt). Dont get me wrong, its a nice cab, but it seemed like it couldnt handle what the Head had to give it. It started to give me the "box" sound with the head only halfway up. Eh, maybe it was just my experiance, but it kinda drove me away from the cab. Then again you'll be running it with a 1x15, so you'll probly have a totally different experiance.

3. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Even though I guarantee the 15's will be punchy enough that you won't miss the 10's, I'd say stick with Bag End and get a BE 2x10 or 2x12.

4. CaptainWally

CaptainWally Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    yes, i used to town an eden 2x10 xlt and i liked
    it, but it really did color the sound quite a bit.
    plus is like carrying around a tv - big a bulky
    and quite heavy.

my reason for liking the jr. is that is much easier
    to carry. like the acme i used to have, the size
    is manageable and is about 50lbs (eden like
    76 or something)

i really like the bag end brand - maybe i should
    consider the 10's from BE, but that casing is
    even worse than the eden isn't it? hmmmm.

stupid GAS.

5. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    Cap'n Wally, I have the smaller Bag End 2-10 with the coax and I just love it. It's efficient with great tone. I really think that it's very close to the Eden D210xlt in tone. But the one thing that I'm sure you've noticed with your BE 15 is that that cab seems to be able to take massive amount of watts and not sweat it at all. It's like the cab says gimme more. Well the 2-10 is like that even more. And the low end stays together very nicely. I did a side-by-side comparison several weeks back and posted the results. Keep in mind that Bag End only makes their 2-10's in 4 ohms which is a drag if you wanna run another cab with it. Also, I think that Bag End has discontinued the smaller 2-10.