Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Opinions on this Roscoe

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Franz Jr., Mar 27, 2003.

1. Franz Jr.

Franz Jr. Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    I have an opportunity to buy this bass. Does anybody know anything about it. I know it was made for the 2002 NAMM show, but that is about it.

Thanks for the help

2. odie

odie Supporting Member

Nothing other than that it has been at the BASS NW site for along time.

3. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    Franz,
    I have seen that Roscoe advertised a few times. There's typically nothing special about a bass made for a NAMM show other than maybe a little more attention to detail and maybe a hand selected top with better than average grain (or in the case of the Roscoe in question, a fancy paint job!). I bought a Roscoe that Keith was in the process of making for the 2000 LA NAMM show. The advantages were: He incorporated the special changes that I wanted, it has an awesome exhibition quilt top, and I got it a few months sooner than normal. The only disadvantage is that a lot of players play it at the show. Keith did break it down after the show, rebuffed the finish, and installed new strings. It arrived looking and playing great. I guess the bottom line is do you like solid color basses? One of the nicest things about Roscoe basses are the awesome natural and stained tops that Keith comes up with! A solid color Roscoe doesn't do it for me but if you like it, go for it. I can promise that if it's a Roscoe, it's a great bass!:)

4. Franz Jr.

Sep 17, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    Thanks for your input JOME, I am considering it.

5. Thumper

Thumper Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2000
    Layton, UT
    Actually, I beleive that's a 2001 NAAM bass, I bought the other (faux marble), and it's one of my "untouchable" basses. That one isn't painted, I beleive it has a very thin metal finish (foil?) applied. I almost bought it, but got the faux marble instead for $2000. I would say that is a good price, for a one-of-a-kind bass, especially if it has the 18v. pre-amp and is close to mint.

6. Franz Jr.

Sep 17, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    I can get this one for $1500 plus shipping

7. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

It's a sleeper because of the unusual finish, which is probably a turn-off for the typical Roscoe customer who's after quilt or spalt or burl. I think the metallic look is kinda cool myself.

8. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    thats Glen's bas- it was originally close to $300 at BassNW- indded , i belive it was a NAMM 2001 bass- i looked at your marble bass before it left Keiths, Thumper- i seriously thought about buying it before it even hit NAMM- it was just a body then-
    the bass youre lookng at, Franz was originally considered an Icon- which is his specialized model- if you dig it, buy it- its certainly worth $1500

9. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    Franz,
    At $1500 you can't go wrong! I'd like to see that finish in person. I'm sure the photo doesn't do it justice.

10. Thumper

Thumper Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2000
    Layton, UT
    Adrian, do you recall what wood the body was made of? I asked Keith a number of questions about the bass and that is the one he forgot to answer. As he did tell me, his NAAM/Icon basses are made to play, they are not made just as display pieces. I gig with the marble, and it looks as good as it did 2 years ago when I got it. $1500 is a great price, you couldn't touch mine for the $2000 I paid, but then my wife says "IT'S NOT FOR SALE!"

11. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    man, i cant remember- i had pics and all, but that twas 3 computers ago- in the lost archives!!- he was dealing mostly with mahogany and spanish cedar then-
    beautiful bass! and talk about one of a kind!-

12. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I played this Roscoe at the NAMM show that it was displayed at. This is different from other Roscoes I have to say. The finish is copper and another metal, I can't remember. You do hear the metal in the sound of the bass. It sounds very cool but different from any other. I would say that if you like to slap then this is your bass.

13. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    It looks like it has a creeping infection.

14. Count me in also as those who don't have an appreciation for it. (was that tactful?):meh:

I think there's a couple reasons it sat at Bass NW for such a long time. One MIGHT be the prohibitive price, but the other would definitely be the look. Whatever price is quoted to you, keep in mind resale appeal (or lack thereof).

15. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    i played it when it was up at bassnw...it rocks...and for 1500 bucks? sheesh, man?! what are you waiting for?

16. Franz Jr.

Sep 17, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    I am buying it so you can't have it!!!!!

I am sending payment Sunday

17. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    I dig it. I would like to see the finish up close and in person before laying down $1500, but that still is a sweet deal.

18. Bassmanbob

Bassmanbob Supporting Member

The finish is not my cup of tea, but I don't like tea anyway.

If you like the way it looks, then that's it. It's a Roscoe. How bad could it possibly be?

19. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    Better looking Roscoes can be had at that price. But with that being said, if you like the way it sounds and feels, then go for it. It just looks a bit weird to me. I prefer the look of the fancy tops that Keith does opposed to the strange limited editions that he does.

20. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I wish that Keith would make a version available of the bass he showed at the same NAMM show. It was an all cedar body, hollowed and about 2 1/2" thick. This one was a fretless and was made for the bass player for Critters Buggin (I'm having a brain fart and I can't remember his name. Great player and a great guy though.).That was an extraordinary bass.