Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

opinions on this set-up

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by hetsscaryguy, Jul 11, 2004.

1. hetsscaryguy

hetsscaryguy

May 22, 2004
    Ireland
    i was previously interested in getting a ashdown mag 300 head this summer but now i have found out that one of my friends is going to the states in september and he will probably be able to bring back a gk 700rb II head for me. i can only afford one cab at the moment and have decided to get a 4x10. the gk will put out 320w at 8ohms and i was thinking of getting a warwick 410 pro cab because it seems to be the best in my price range. the problem is that the warwick will only handle 300w at 8ohms, am i going to have some problems like will i blow a speaker or is it a good thing to have the speaker lower than the amp output.

2. [SD]

[SD]

Feb 24, 2004

from what i have heard in this forum it's a good rule of thumb to DOUBLE the RMS watts of your speaker with your amp output.

3. hetsscaryguy

hetsscaryguy

May 22, 2004
    Ireland
    so then i'd need a speaker capable of 640 watts anything that size is way out my price range.

4. [SD]

[SD]

Feb 24, 2004
    no you got me wrong or i explained myself wrong.
    here is the deal:

warwick 410 - 300W RMS ----> amp output up to 600W

so there is nothing wrong on having an amp giving more power than the RMS wattage of your speaker...just be careful that your speaker doesn't start farting because of clipping.

Anyway don't fully trust me. Let's se what other TBers have to say.

5. hetsscaryguy

hetsscaryguy

May 22, 2004
    Ireland
    oh right sorry yeah now i know what you mean. thanks

6. Tim__x

Tim__x

Aug 13, 2002
    Alberta, Canada
    So long as you're carful not to turn up too loud and to not let your amp clip or your speakers fart it'll work fine.