opinions on this warrior please!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Erythuria, Jun 11, 2004.

1. Cliff Bordwell

Cliff Bordwell Commercial User

Jan 6, 2004
    USA , Orlando , Florida
    Owner of CB BASSES
    You can trust Ebay, just go by the sellers feedback rating.
  2. bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004
    Don't buy this! It's backwards! ;)
  3. Make sure you understand that if you play with the low-B on top that you'll have to get the nut redone. That bass has the low-B on the bottom.

I have a Warrior 9-string that's pretty sweet. Never tried a 5 though.

- Dave
  4. That's a nice bass! Especially for lefties, since those aren't as common as right handed ones.

You can trust ebay, the only questionable part would be the person you're buying from.

That guy has 100% positive feedback, so you can trust him.
  5. I agree that if you do your homework that you can trust ebay. I have yet to have a problem.

You asked how the bass compares to others and although I know nothing about that particular bass, here's my experience... I went to the Dallas Guitar show a couple of years ago and the Warrior booth was there. GREAT looking basses! I was excited to finally be able to play several of their models. I have to tell you that on close inspection I wasn't as impressed. The craftsmanship was good, but not to the level I would expect for an instrument costing as much as Warrior asks. Also, the tone was pretty average - again, not that that's a bad thing, but the instruments just didn't have anything "special" for me. In my experience, Nordstrand builds an instrument with much higher standards for craftsmanship, playability and tone.

Good luck!!
  6. thanks guys :) i decided to go for it... we'll see how it goes :D
    i know its reverse strung but the owner is going to have it set up properly for me before he ships.

7. hey jeff can you elaborate a bit on your dislikes about warrior please?

8. Scott,

Sure. The craftsmanship was just okay in spots - the cavity cover didn't fit real snug, the PU routes were not clean and the frets were uneven in spots. I also remember that they used cheap wood screws in the cavity cover - I remember thinking that for an $8000 bass, they could have done better.

That said, the finish was great, the bass felt good and the inlay work was fantastic (if you're in to that sort of thing - I'm not)

The tone was flat - not much sustain or articulation in lower register. Again, remember this was at the Guitar Show with racket everywhere - could have just been me.

9. Daniel L.

Daniel L. Guest

Aug 30, 2002

This is just an observation but....if you were at a guitar show probably a lot of people had played that bass, so the strings were most likely dead contributing to a lackluster tone. Or it could have been the bass, I just thought I'd throw that out there.
  10. I never understood why lefty's had the Low strings on the bottom.

Confoozes me :confused:
  11. hateater

hateater snatch canadian cream

May 4, 2001
    Eugene, OR
    Well, since a lot of cats started playing a right handed bass upside down (Jimi style), they got used to having the strings set that way. I know that Gretta did it and regrets not learning on a properley strung lefty.

12. haha yeah that confuses me too! i'm a lefty and i play standard but i'm come across a lot of other lefties that reverse string, strange stuff!! :bassist:

13. quallabone

Aug 2, 2003
  14. hateater

hateater snatch canadian cream

May 4, 2001
    Eugene, OR

I wasn't saying that there was anything wrong with it, I just said that some left handed bassists regret learning the bass in that way. Look at Jimi- he did alright!
  15. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Works for Keith Horne, too! :D :hyper: :bassist:

that guy slaps insane even with that upside-down setup... :eek:

I prefer mine strung normal. it's easier to slap that way ;)
  16. I played a few Warriors at GuitarX. I have to pretty much agree with Jeff Rader's assessment of the tone of the basses. For most of them I was just not that impressed. But another point is that two of the Warriors (out of the 7 or so that I played) sounded phenomenal. One was a soldier 5 fretless. The other was a signature 7. Both of those basses were outstanding, and I would be happy to have owned either of them. I am still considering getting a 7 string warrior, even for the $4000 price tag. It was that good.