Opinions on TI Power Bass strings?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by McGryff, Aug 9, 2001.

1. Folks,
    Has anyone played thomastik-Infeld's Power Bass strings? I have a set of the TI Jazz Flats on one bass & I love em. On my other, I have a set of DR lo-riders, which i also dig. But I'm curious about the power bass... how's the tone & tension & all that? If anyone has any info on 'em, pass it along to me, please
  2. notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    I'm kinda' curious about`em too. After I got over the shock of seein' my
    local G/C carryin' T/I Jazz Flats AND Acousticores :eek:, I noticed they also
    had the PowerBass series for sale.

From the T/I site...

• Jazz Series...Jazz Series are strings with extended durability and high
      output. A highly flexible steel core gives the string a balanced feeling and
      a special character. The overall sound characteristics can be described
      as very close to the double bass

Power Bass ...mighty crisp powerful high output. Power Bass Rock Series
      have a very thin steel hex core. The new design with highly flexible core
      and massive magnecore winding achieves fascinating clarity and transparency
      of sound combined with maximum output
    ...Here's the EB344 set relative to JF344...

• JF344 / G 43 37.03# / D 56 37.47# / A 70 31.3# / E 100 34.39#

EB344 / G 47 46.4# / D 68 53.68# / A 80 42.76# / E 107 40.78#
    Sorry :( , can't comment on the tone (yet :p )
  3. ohiobob227

Aug 18, 2001
    Cloverdale, CA
    I put a set of these on my G&L L2000E a couple of weeks ago, and I don't believe I'll ever have reason to buy another brand of roundwound strings again. They're lower in tension than the boomers I'd been using (best compromise I'd found between tone & life), but seemingly only in feel; they're very flexable giving them a slightly softer feel but they don't seem to put much less stress on the neck, it only took an eighth of a turn on my truss rod to compensate. They're the most balanced-sounding rounds I've ever come across, all ferquencies present, none that jump out, quite sweet. I was worried that they would be too bright, but they're so touch-sensitive that the bit of extra treble is there if you want it, not if you don't. They do have a good bit of output, great if you have a tube amp or slightly anemic pickups I imagine. You can email me if you have any more questions.