Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Opinions on Tobias

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BassicCat, Aug 20, 2000.

1. BassicCat

BassicCat

Apr 8, 2000
    I like the Steinbergers, and would enjoy a Spirit XT-2. I have a very tired Lotus copy of the 'Berger, but have tried a SoundGear. The Tobias on MusicYo looks great. I'm trying to decide, and would appreciate opinions from some of you "real" bassists. I'm new to playing, and will likely only play as a hobby on the side. Thanks!

2. killpop

killpop

Aug 20, 2000
    the new tobias basses are fantastic, ive got 2 at the present time. to be honest i was kind of put of when i first read that Gibson owns tobias now and that they were manufacturing them but after playing the pro4 i was sold. they have everything the old michael tobias basses had without the price tag. the tone is so unbelievably killer, it has such range and power. ive made them my full time basses, i wont be useing anything else. the tobias eats ibanez soundgears for breakfast.

3. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I'm afraid I would have to diagree and say that there hasn't been a real Tobias made since 1990. I have tried a lot of the newer ones and those we are talking about can not be compared with the "real" Tobias basses, which were "hand made" by Michael Tobias and his small crew up to 1990.

Some of the Gibson basses are a pretty good standard, but the Music Yo stuff is extremely far-removed in quality terms from original Tobias standards. They are just cheap copies really and a mass-produced bass like this is never going to be the same as a "boutique" bass.

The main problem with the newer ones is the narrow neck, which is too thick and makes them very uncomfortable to play - the electronics aren't up to much either and are noisy and harsh. The attention to detail, as is to be expected, is not up to much and I've seen all sorts of minor problems on the "pro" range examples I've seen in the UK - too many to list here!

But this is all fine! Just realise that you get what you pay for and there are really no "huge" bargains to be had - well certainly not in vast production runs anyway ;) - cheap basses are cheap for a reason.....

4. killpop

killpop

Aug 20, 2000
    well if you want to get down to the "real Tobias" that would be MTD, which are still handmade by michael tobias himself(not them cheasy MTD grendal things either). and as for musicyo.com, i wouldnt buy any gear through the internet, despite the factory direct-like prices. i'll still defend the new gibson tobias as being a kick ass bass, and will concete that it aint no boutique bass. no, the new tobias is more of a work horse than any boutique instrument ever could be. as for narrow kneck being too thick to be played comfortably... id say that sounds more like a personal problem. every one ive played have felt great and exceptionally easy to play. this is a good bass, for pro or hobby use. noisy pick ups though? sure its not your amp? i get a clean crisp sound without any excess humming or sensitivity, you might want to try cutting the treble next time you pick one up.

5. Bruce Lindfield

It's not my amp because I've only tried them in shops and if I've got to cut down the treble to make it usable, then I don't want it!

As I said - you get what you pay for and these basses are OK for the price - just saying that they are nothing like the quality of a pre-Gibson Tobias or MTD which you now seem to be saying as well! And people shouldn't be fooled by the name - in the same way as with the cheaper Spector basses.

I was only really disagreeing with one line in your original post :"they have everything the old michael tobias basses had without the price tag. " - to me this is just misleading and has no basis in fact.

6. chymel

chymel

Apr 16, 2000
    I have to agree with BL on this one. I love the sound and looks of the original Tobias basses. I looked for an original for that fit my liking for sometime. During this period I a/b the old and new and found only the body shape to be the same. No comparison to sound or price as for as that goes. I wound up buying a Roscoe LG-3500. It plays great and has great tone. BYW I'm still looking for an original Tobias 5 - anybody ?

7. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Roscoe LG-3005 you mean? Ohhhh, nice. Almost got one! Theres an almost pre-Gibson Tobias selling on Ebay. Its made after American stuff and before Gibson. Here

http://www.marginx.com/bunnybass

Theyll give you the link to the one on ebay. Plus, theres another Roscose LG-3005 there!

8. chymel

chymel

Apr 16, 2000
    Your are right Mega, I meant LG-3005. Thanks for the tip I will check out e-Bay.

9. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    What made you buy the newer one? They say instruments "speak" to the musician, most of the Gibsons spoke to me. They said "Put me down" ;)

Disclaimer: I'm not saying they're all bad, I'd have to play all of them to say that, the quality did seem inconsistent(on the Gibsons). YMMV

[Edited by Brad Johnson on 08-23-2000 at 01:33 PM]

10. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Yup, you gotta be careful with eBay. Not that eBay itself is bad, but there are some people who are buying Steinbergers and Tobiases from Musicyo and selling them at a profit to hapless buyers who don't know any better.

One good way to tell these rip-off artists is to check their other active auctions, as well as their completed auctions. If they have more than one bass for sale (or sold) from a brand available at Musicyo, better stay your hand and hold on to your money.

Will C.:cool:

11. brewer9

brewer9

Jul 5, 2000
    i dont mind if they are buying them to make a profit, what i DO mind is bad quality merchandise.

12. Blackbird

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Well, Brewer. I have nothing against people making a profit either, but as a consumer I tend to avoid middle men.

13. brewer9

brewer9

Jul 5, 2000
    I hate to break it to ya BigWheel, but everything you buy has 4 or 5 middlemen. 1) The manufacturer buys its product or pieces of it from 2) overseas companies, then assembles/packages it and sells it to a 3) national distributor, who sells it to a 4) regional distributor, who sells it to a 5) retailer, who finally sells it to YOU.

A bass merchant who finds good deals and resells them could be said to be doing you a favor because he is making the products availability wider. If you already know that you can get it cheaper through a more direct source fine, but if you dont know that and the deal is still good then go for it. any retail store is basically doing what you say you dont like.

I'm not saying you should pay more for something if you dont have to and i'm certainly not saying that all sources have equal ethical standards, but i am saying that some dealers are really OK.

14. Blackbird

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Well, Brewer, I hate to break it to ya, but a bass that you buy from a private party on eBay has not only gone through all the hands you described, but also through his own, plus the warranty is VOID and there's NO RETURN POLICY. I can't for the life of me begin to understand why you think I was badmouthing dealers. I'm really not willing to turn this into a flame war, although your tone seems to suggest you feel otherwise.

What I'm pointing out (again) is that individuals who buy things with the deliberate intent of making a profit (not businesses, individuals), while totally entitled to doing so, are not doing any favors to someone who could buy a new instrument with a warranty and a return policy so that they wouldn't make "asses of themselves". Frankly, all I was basically saying was that you should be careful when bidding on things on eBay, otherwise you might be wasting money, but hell, why bother? It's your money, plus, you seem to know everything already.

Enjoy your Korean Tobias.

15. Bruce Lindfield

But this is a Japanese-made Tobias and hence not "hand-made", which is the whole point about getting a pre-Gibson Tobias. For anyone looking for the "Real Thing" - it has to have a serial number of 2044 or less - the lower the better (mine is #1274, but I know some TalkBass members have lower numbers!). After that, the basses weren't made by Michael Tobias's "crew" and went to a Gibson production line.

16. brewer9

brewer9

Jul 5, 2000
    Big Wheel thats a totally different point that your making now, and a good one too. I was simply commenting on your statement about "middlemen," which is that middlemen are NOT necessarily evil.

I obviously dont know everything and dont claim to, but i do like to discuss the fine points of subjects. sorry if this characteristic offends you. try getting off your high horse and being aware that this is called a "DISCUSSION board."

17. Blackbird

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Brewer, This was the first post I made. All subsequent posts were an attempt to rephrase the same thing to convey the same idea.

As far as "getting off my high horse", that's the kind of tone that makes a "discussion" into a confrontation. discussions don't have to be antagonistic. Come to think of it, I'll stop typing around here, otherwise I'll have to rephrase it three different ways too and it's more trouble than it's worth.

18. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Like #196 and #308?
    :D:D:D:D

19. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    What you said made sense, Will. Brewer9, I'm not sure exactly how you took what Will said, you accused me of responding "blindly" over in Off Topic and said I should reread before I post. Good advice, but I do that anyway. I responded over there if you're interested. This doesn't have to be contentious:D

There is a major idealogical difference to me between the normal retail process and an individual setting themself up as an extra profit center between a consumer and a business that sells directly to consumers. The latter is basically taking advantage of someone's ignorance (for clarification: Ignorance meaning they just don't know, not that they're stupid.

If I were to sell an item from Sears as an item from me, with a surcharge tacked onto it, that is actually cheaper to buy from Sears, to me that's taking advantage of someone. That's one of the problems with eBay. Do I blame the sellers?... I think for the most part they're weasels but no one is being forced to buy. Do I blame the buyers?...yes. If you're going to buy off the Internet without doing the research or knowing the product, that's not too bright.

I recall seeing someone auctioning plans on eBay. They included a link to their website. The bids on eBay were 50% more than the regular price on the website. How stupid is that?

eBay is frought with shill bidding, scam auctions, middlemen and more. You need to use common sense and protect yourself as much as possible. If you don't have common sense, you're better off not using it.

20. Blackbird

Mar 18, 2000
    California