opinions on top wood

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Taustin Powers, Aug 6, 2003.

1. It is time for me to decide on a top wood for my Read Custom. Jack found this really nice piece of Crotch Maple, that I am tempted to go with.

2. JP Basses

JP Basses

Mar 22, 2002
    Paris FRANCE
    Nice top.

I wonder how it'd look if reversed...

Peace, JP
  3. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    oooooooo, I like that wood and Jack is a cool luthier. Congrats looks like you have something amazing in the works.

BTW, if I ever get enough money put together, I'd like to have a bass with a redwood burl top.
  4. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Nice!!! Go for it!!
  5. alx564

Jul 31, 2000
    Emmaus, PA
    That wood does look like it would make an amazing top. Definitely has a unique look to it. I think its your responsibility to use a piece that nice.
  6. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Very nice wood. Its purrrty.
  7. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Just a personal preference - Does he have more boards so the doggone neck-through can be hidden underneath the top ??? I have a nice neck-through but the top is all cocobolo.

I hate to see that bookmatch look broken up by the big clunky neck running down the middle. The crotch is too gorgeous to separate, IMO.
  8. Taylor Livingston

Taylor Livingston Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    Louisiana, US
    Owner, Iron Ether Electronics
    Yes, I much prefer full tops (and your Cocobolo Queen DP ns about the most gorgeous piece of coco I've ever seen).
  9. rickbass

That crotch you have lined up is a hard act to follow!!! Really great symmetry!

I especially like those diamond-shaped lighter areas on the lower 2/3rds.
  10. I absolutely agree - that's a fine piece of maple. I wouldn't break it up with a neck thru look.

11. godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    I could go either way on this one. That is a gorgeous specimen !
  12. It is actually supposed to be a "hidden" neckthrough. I just emailed Jack and asked him if he has enough of the wood to cover the neck portion of the body. We'll see!
  13. Taylor Livingston

Taylor Livingston Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    Louisiana, US
    Owner, Iron Ether Electronics
    While I'm flattered that you like my crotch, I think you have me confused with the thread starter. ;)
  14. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    That's a very nice top there. What are the other ones you are considering going with?
  15. artistanbul

artistanbul Nihavend Longa Vita Brevis

Apr 15, 2003
    I wouldn't want to know what your crotch looks like. :p
  16. Bassmanbob

Bassmanbob Supporting Member

Crotch or no crotch, I never liked the look of a neckthrough. NIce top wood; cover the neckthrough.

God luck.
  17. rickbass

Ding-ding....I did mean Taustin's.
  18. I decided to go with this top. Jack is going to cover the neck portion with a piece of the same wood as well. The body will essentially look like this, only with the crotch maple and a different pick up configuration:

Very excited, can't wait!
  19. Killdar

Dec 16, 2002
    Portland Maine
    Man, that crotch maple is a sweet piece of wood! I also like that configuration there; the neck is all covered in nice wood, but it's more interesting than a full top.....but if there's enough wood, a full top wouldn't be bad at all!