Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Opinions on Trade.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by bertbassplayer, Apr 3, 2001.

1. I have a 1996 American Standard Jazz Bass V color: Black. Someone wants to trade me a Rickenbacker 4003, 4 string, mapleburst. '87 or '88 vintage; Like new!
    Really! Excellent condition. Has HSC.

I would like your opinion on this trade.

2. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    Really depends on your situation. If that's your main bass or your only bass, you should consider if the Rick tone is appropriate for the music you're involved in....typically, a Rick won't be as versatile as the Jazz V. That said, I'd do the trade just because I think the Rick is a nicer bass than the Jazz, but that's just me.

3. Well its my main bass, but not my only one. The classic Rick tone fits the style I play too...

4. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

If you know;

- you like the sound of the Rick and think you will still like it a year from now,
    - the onboards and playability are A-1, that the neck is true, and that all parts are original,
    - the finish only has the expected surface scratches in the gloss one could reasonably expect in an older instrument...

...I'd opine, "Why not?" Just realize, that if you decide to get rid of it, Ricks are a little harder to unload than Jazzes, unless some big names start showing up with them again.

Since you are trading a much newer instrument, you might ask for some new strings on it, (if they aren't).

5. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    I have played both and owned both I still have and play the the RIC all the time, the 90's Jazz is in Holland somewhere with a new owner. JMHO
    go for the RIC!
    I lust relized the Fender I got rid of is on my avatar.

6. Here's a pic of the Ric I'm hoping to get.
    [​IMG]